I'll focus on the upgrade, I'm way too unfamiliar with the code base to
make proper decisions about how to split off libcxx.

I've looked into upgrading libcxx. I found the build_libcxx function in
tools/system_libs.py, I suppose this gets called when invoking
./embuilder.py build libcxx.

So if I update the libcxx code and make sure "./embuilder.py build libcxx
libcxxabi" builds fine and the tests succeed, I can consider the upgrade
successful?