Dan Harkins wrote:
>   A "clear-text" password will have to be sent "in the tunnel" because
> otherwise authentication would not be possible!

  There are many authentication protocols which do not require the
sending of a clear-text password.  CHAP, MS-CHAP, EKE, SRP, or your own
proposal.  So I'm a little surprised that you think authentication can
happen only via sending a clear-text password.

  Your suggested text permits the tunneled protocol to support *only*
one of these other methods, and to *not* support sending of a clear-text
password.  For reasons I gave before, we cannot standardize on a
tunneled protocol that fails to support clear-text passwords.

  I welcome text to clarify the security requirements.  But I am opposed
to removing the stated requirement for clear-text passwords.  Everything
else we've discussed is secondary to that point.

  Alan DeKok.