Stefan:

Actually even if the client is authenticated as part of the TLS tunnel
establishment, NEA data can still be passed inside TEAP tunnel. It is
designed to carry additional data in Phase 2.

The Current TEAP draft supports both of these modes, as in Section 3.2:

"TEAP implementations MUST support client authentication during tunnel
   establishment using the TLS ciphersuites specified in Section 3.2
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-emu-eap-tunnel-method-03#section-3.2
>.
   The EAP peer does not need to authenticate as part of the TLS
   exchange, but can alternatively be authenticated through additional
   exchanges carried out in Phase 2.

   The TEAP tunnel protects peer identity information exchanged during
   phase 2 from disclosure outside the tunnel.  Implementations that
   wish to provide identity privacy for the peer identity must carefully
   consider what information is disclosed outside the tunnel prior to
   phase 2.  TEAP implementations SHOULD support the immediate
   renegotiation of a TLS session to initiate a new handshake message
   exchange under the protection of the current cipher suite.  This
   allows support for protection of the peer's identity when using TLS
   client authentication."

It properly doesn't describes the TLS exchanges as detailed as in EAP-TLS
RFC, but something we could improve if desired.