On Mar 1, 2013, at 7:15 AM, Sam Hartman <hartmans-i...@mit.edu> wrote:

>>> There doesn't seem to be a way for a server to request channel
>>> binding.  If that's true we should probably add the following:
>>> Since a server cannot indicate a desire for channel binding,
>>> clients that
>    Jim> have
>>> channel binding data to send SHOULD include channel-binding TLV
>>> in a request-action TLV if mutual authentication (section 3.11)
>>> succeeded.
>
>    Jim> If this is true - then I agree it is a flaw.
>
>    Jim> I think that one could send a channel-binding TLV with no data
>    Jim> to request that a client send channel binding data back.  This
>    Jim> should not cause any significant problems.
>
> If that's permitted  then it should be explicitly documented.
>
> I think that if this is permitted, everyone who implements channel
> binding needs to be required to support this.
>
>    Jim> One could then have Channel-binding server->peer - no data
>    Jim> Channel-binding peer->server - here is my data Channel-binding
>    Jim> server->peer - here is my data
>
> Again, let's document this if it is permitted.
> It's clear the spec is unclear if you and I read if differently.

[Joe] THis is a reasonable request.  We'll need to make sure there is no
ambiguity in the use of the empty message.   Should this be covered in RFC
6677?

>    Jim> However I believe that the client can initiate this by just
>    Jim> sending the channel binding TLV in the clear and not in a
>    Jim> request if the client wants to initiate it.
>
> My reading is that you cannot send a channel binding outside of a
> request.  This needs clarification as well if we're reading it
> differently.

[Joe] I'm not sure what you are asking here.  What is meant be sending the CB
TLV "in the clear and not in a request"?  do you mean a request-action TLV?