From: "internet-dra...@ietf.org" <internet-dra...@ietf.org>
Date: Monday, 22 October 2018 at 12:26
To: Mohit Sethi <mo...@piuha.net>, John Mattsson <john.matts...@ericsson.com>
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-ms-emu-eaptlscert-01.txt

A new version of I-D, draft-ms-emu-eaptlscert-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by John Mattsson and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-ms-emu-eaptlscert
Revision:       01
Title:          Handling Large Certificates and Long Certificate Chains in
EAP-TLS
Document date:  2018-10-22
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          7
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ms-emu-eaptlscert-01
Htmlized:       https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ms-emu-eaptlscert
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ms-emu-eaptlscert-01

Abstract:
   Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) provides support for
   multiple authentication methods.  EAP-Transport Layer Security (EAP-
   TLS) provides means for key derivation and strong mutual
   authentication with certificates.  However, certificates can often be
   relatively large in size.  The certificate chain to the root-of-trust
   can also be long when multiple intermediate Certification Authorities
   (CAs) are involved.  This implies that EAP-TLS authentication needs
   to be fragmented into many smaller packets for transportation over
   the lower-layer.  Such fragmentation can not only negatively affect
   the latency, but also results in implementation challenges.  For
   example, many authenticator (access point) implementations will drop
   an EAP session if it hasn't finished after 40 - 50 packets.  This can
   result in failed authentication even when the two communicating
   parties have the correct credentials for mutual authentication.
   Moreover, there are no mechanisms available to easily recover from
   such situations.  This memo looks at the problem in detail and
   discusses the solutions available to overcome these deployment
   challenges.

The IETF Secretariat