Hi Dan and Rafa,

Thank you for the questions!

Yes, the Initial Exchange in EAP-NOOB always ends in EAP-Failure.  Then, we
give some time for the user to transfer the OOB message. After the OOB step,
the peer tries again and the Completion Exchange ends in EAP-Success.

Yes, the out-of-band (OOB) message is cryptographically bound to the ECHD
result. That, is the message authentication code (Hoob) in the OOB message
takes the ECDH output as one of its inputs.

Our current implementation opportunistically tries all the W-Fi network that
support WPA2-Enterprise. It definitely would be better to advertise the
capability for EAP-NOOB in IEEE 802.11u, or even advertise the domain of the
EAP-NOOB server. I think it will take some time before the 802.11 APs start to
support EAP-NOOB in that way, though, and we want the protocol to work with
existing Wi-Fi networks.

The realm used by the peer is initially “eap-noob.net”. The server can assign
another realm in Initial Exchange. The main purpose for assigning another realm
is that the peer can later use it for roaming in access networks that have AAA
routing set up for the assigned realm.

We have only tested EAP-NOOB on Wi-Fi: https://github.com/tuomaura/eap-noob. It
can be used on any networks that support EAP and where the user-assisted OOB
authentication methods makes sense from the user experience perspective.

Regards,
Tuomas