Alan DeKok <al...@deployingradius.com> wrote:
    >   Let's be realistic about the IETF.  While we pretend that we have
    > individual contributors, the reality is that large companies fund huge
    > chunks of it.  Those companies effectively shield individual
    > contributors from patent lawsuits.  i.e. no one will sue an employee of
    > Cisco about a standard, they will instead sue Cisco directly.

Actually, nobody seems to sue the majors except other majors.
Nobody seems to sue small entities that have no money except patent trolls.

    >   Michael and I have no such protection.  As an implementor of EAP-SIM
    > and EAP-AKA, he may be personally liable.  As the person hosting the
    > web site and source code, I may also be personally liable.

I don't think you can be sued for patent infringemenet for writing about
the patent, only for using it.    Copyright, yes, but not patents.

    >   And realistically, Open Source has driven the explosion of tech
    > companies in the past 10 years.  I think few companies could have been
    > profitable if they had paid license fees for an OS, web server, etc.
    > So there should be a vested interest in protecting open source as part
    > of the IETF standardization process.

I agree with you, and so it borders on seriously insulting to open source
authors to have these super-vague IPR claims show up from non-technical
lawyers.

Let me restate my original opinion:
   - if this is important to 5G, then anything that gets in the way of
     adoption is a problem.  If it's not important enough to fix the IPR,
     then it's actually that important.
   - adopting AKA is very important.

]     m...@sandelman.ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [