On 2019-11-12 7:15 a.m., Owen Friel (ofriel) wrote:
> This is also related to ongoing anima discussions about RFC 8366, and how it
> can bootstrap trust when the pinned domain cert is a public PKI CA, and not a
> private CA, and hence additional domain (or realm or FQDN) info is also
> needed in order for the peer to verify the identity of the server.

While I'm familiar with this conversation, which I'm right now inspired
to call the the "Maria" problem
("How do solve a problem like Maria.  How do you a cloud certificate and
pin it down?")

I don't really understand what it has to do with the problem of an EAP
client, **which is not doing initial onboarding**, to validate a
certificate that it has received as part of EAP-TLS*.
> Its also relevant for ongoing Wi-Fi Alliance DPP discussions about
> bootstrapping a supplicant onto an 802.1X network - after a supplicant
> completes DPP and gets provisioned with a trust anchor - what if that trust
> anchor is a public PKI? It’s the same problem.

I agree that this is the Maria problem, because the client has to pin
*a* CA and a SubjectDN (specifically a dnsName SubjectAltName), and you
want to allow the server to change public CAs.

I skimmed your document before and I didn't understand it based upon my
quick read. Your text here helps me a bit.
In eduroam, the supplicant sees the TLSServerCertificate of the local
institution's Authentication Server, correct?
Is it not the case that for this to be validated that there needs to be
a path to the eduroam's root certificate,
which the client would have pinned?

You need to set the NAI correctly, because we have essentially an
SNI-like issue, in that the Authentication Server
needs to answer with it's eduroam certificate for eduroam clients, and
it might use a different certificate for other clients?

As I understand it, your ran into an issue because the root certificate
expired, and clients had pinned it, but they could find a new
certificate in DNS?