On Sep 1, 2020, at 12:05 PM, John Mattsson
<john.mattsson=40ericsson....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> I have reviewed draft-ietf-emu-tls-eap-types-01. Looks good. Two crypto
> related comments below:
>
> - "MAC is the MAC function negotiated in TLS 1.3."
>
> There is no MAC function negotiated in TLS 1.3. Also, a modern TLS
> implementation would not negotiate any MAC funtion in TLS 1.2 as they would
> use an AEAD. There is however a cipher suite hash algorithms that is used in
> HMAC mode. Maybe something like
>
>   "Compound-MAC = HMAC( CMK, BUFFER )
>
>   Where HMAC uses the Hash algorithm for the handshake."
>
>   or
>
>   "Compound-MAC = HMAC( CMK, BUFFER )
>
>   Where the Hash function used by HKDF is the cipher suite hash algorithm"

  OK.

> This raises the question what TEAP TLS 1.2 implementations do today? Are they
> only using outdated and non-secure cipher suites or are they doing something
> unspecified to derive Compound-MAC with an AEAD cipher suite?

  It's not clear.  I'd have to double-check hostap, which is the only publicly
available TEAP implementation I know of.

> Anyway, how to calculate Compound-MAC with an AEAD algorithm needs to be
> specified for TLS 1.2 as well. I think the scope of the document need to be
> expanded slightly.

  Or punt on TEAP entirely, and leave it to a TEAP-bis document.

> - "For PEAP, some derivation use HMAC-SHA1 [PEAP-MPPE].  There are no
>   known security issues with HMAC-SHA1.  In the interests of
>   interoperability and minimal changes, we do not change that
>   definition here."
>
> While it is true that there are no known practical attacks against HMAC-SHA1,
> most modern protocols like TLS 1.3 forbid all uses of SHA-1, governments are
> recommending phasing out use of HMAC-SHA1 in e.g. IKEv2, and many buyers of
> security equipment thinks that everything with SHA-1 is very weak. To me it
> feels strange to force future implementations to continue support of SHA-1
> when it is completely removed from TLS 1.3. Enforcing SHA-256 when TLS 1.3 is
> used seems like the easy way forward. It is probably much harder to do at a
> later stage.

  Realistically, PEAP is a vendor-defined protocol.  It is not under the change
control of the IETF.  If the vendor agrees to this change, then it's possible.
Otherwise we're stuck with what we have.

> Editorials:
>
> - "in Section Those"
> - formatting of the list in section 5

  I'll fix that, thanks.