From: Oleg Pekar <oleg.pekar.2...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2020 6:59 AM
To: Joseph Salowey <j...@salowey.net>
Cc: EMU WG <emu@ietf.org>; Jorge Vergara <jover...@microsoft.com>; Jouni
Malinen <j...@w1.fi>
Subject: Re: Proposed resolution for TEAP errata for 5128

Hi all,
Speaking about both errata 5127 and 5128, I think we need to align all key
derivation calls in TEAP RFC with the same rule/format to make the RFC easier
to understand. This can be achieved by introducing a unified single PRF
function that will be called from all the relevant RFC locations. For me it
sounds better than if we align just part of KDF calls with RFC 5295 (where the
output length is included into seed). Also: in some KDF calls we do have
optional data and in some no. This could be also unified.

So I would suggest introducing:
TEAP-PRF (secret, key label, optional data, length) = TLS-PRF(secret, key label
| 0x00 | optional data, length)
where a single byte 0x00 is used for no optional data, length is a 2-octet
unsigned integer in network byte order.

Then:
IMSK = First 32 octets of TEAP-PRF(EMSK,
"teapbind...@ietf.org<mailto:teapbind...@ietf.org>", 64) = TLS-PRF(EMSK,
"teapbind...@ietf.org<mailto:teapbind...@ietf.org>" | 0x00 | 0x00 | 0x00 | 0x40)
IMCK[j] = TEAP-PRF(S-IMCK[j-1], "Inner Methods Compound Keys", IMSK[j], 60) =
TLS-PRF(S-IMCK[j-1], "Inner Methods Compound Keys" | 0x00 | IMSK[j] | 0x00 |
0x3C)
MSK = TEAP-PRF(S-IMCK[j], "Session Key Generating Function”, 64) =
TLS-PRF(S-IMCK[j], "Session Key Generating Function" | 0x00 | 0x00 | 0x00 |
0x40)
EMSK = TEAP-PRF(S-IMCK[j], ”Extended Session Key Generating Function”, 64) =
TLS-PRF(S-IMCK[j], "Extended Session Key Generating Function" | 0x00 | 0x00 |
0x00 | 0x40)

This may change the existing implementation but will make it more clear - need
to create and call just one KDF function.

We can remove 0x00 that comes after the key label - while it is required by RFC
5295. But there the key label is also ASCII printable string. Joe, do you
remember what was the motivation to put 0x00 after the key label parameter?

Oleg

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 2:54 AM Joseph Salowey
<j...@salowey.net<mailto:j...@salowey.net>> wrote:
(I accidentally dropped this list from the conversation)

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 4:48 PM Jorge Vergara
<jover...@microsoft.com<mailto:jover...@microsoft.com>> wrote:
>[Joe] Yes this is a concern and I think your interpretation of the current
>document is also valid.  There may be more than one implementation.  So what
>you implemented was:
>
>IMCK[j] = TLS-PRF(S-IMCK[j-1], "Inner Methods Compound Keys", IMSK[j]) =
>P_<hash>(S-IMCK[j-1], "Inner Methods Compound Keys" | IMSK[j])

Yes, this is what I implemented. As you mentioned, there are multiple possible
interpretations of this since the TEAP usage is incorrect. However, my
implementation does interop with at least 2 large vendor implementations. If
the implementations were using different calculations here, the Wi-Fi/Ethernet
connections that depend on the MSK would fail. But since connections work, I
can assume we are all using the same implementation and arriving at the same
MSK. Cisco is one of the implementations that I have tested against which is
why I was hoping Oleg may offer more context as to what he has seen.

[Joe] I can hope Jouni can chime in on this as well.  I think the original
intent was to not include the length as is your suggestion.

>[Joe] Does the revision in 5167 match you implementation ( I don't think
>Jouni's comment changes the underly calculation, just its representation)?

I have not implemented this portion of the RFC as I found it too unclear to
work with. Thus I can’t comment on what implementations may be doing. However,
I agree with the current revision in 5167 as the most natural interpretation.
If others have implemented this portion of the RFC then certainly their
comments would be welcome.

By the way, we’ve dropped the EMU group on our replies here – not sure if
intentional or not.

Jorge Vergara