Hi Mohit,

The quoting in your note is not coming across usefully in my MUA, so I'm
trimming to (what I think are) just your remarks without other history.

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 07:34:42PM +0000, Mohit Sethi M wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> RFC 5705 says:
>
>    If no context is provided, it then computes:
>
>            PRF(SecurityParameters.master_secret, label,
>                SecurityParameters.client_random +
>                SecurityParameters.server_random
>                )[length]
>
>    If context is provided, it computes:
>
>            PRF(SecurityParameters.master_secret, label,
>                SecurityParameters.client_random +
>                SecurityParameters.server_random +
>                context_value_length + context_value
>                )[length]
>

> We use only two arguments and say "No context data is used in the TLS
> exporter interface.". We could show the context argument as empty in the
> calls to make things clearer. By the way, this is what is done by TEAP also.
> RFC 7170 says "TEAPv1 makes use of the TLS Keying Material Exporters defined
> in [RFC5705] to derive the session_key_seed.  The label used in the
> derivation is "EXPORTER: teap session key seed".  The length of the session
> key seed material is 40 octets.  No context data is used in the export
> process."

We're using the TLS 1.3 exporter, though, so the RFC 8446
(https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8446.html#section-7.5) three-argument
form seems most relevant.  Note that there is no difference in TLS 1.3
between an absent context and a zero-length context.

> The change of moving the type-code from the context to the label was made
> based on your review (comments from Martin) and the fact that some libraries
> such as wolfssl don't support passing a context (so far). See:
> https://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/tree/src/crypto/tls_wolfssl.c#n1996

I'm not going to get super hung-up on label vs context (but it's clearly a bug
if WolfSSL doesn't support contexts).  I guess Martin even wanted the type code
to be in the label part in the first place, so having it in the label is
"better"; we just need to actually show that there's an empty context
argument.

> I think there was a misunderstanding that an authenticated signal of
> authentication completed was needed. Only a signal of no more post handshake
> messages was needed. I think Alan's summary might also explain the situation
> better.

I note that Alan seems to also be a bit unclear about exactly what purpose
the commitment message serves; I look forward to seeing how the questions
he has listed get answered.

Thanks,

Ben