Joe Salowey said:

"[Joe] Based on RFC 5216 the server could fail the finished message or as

section 2.1.3 shows it could send the finish and then it can send an
Alert and result in EAP-Failure.  In this case it would be possible
for an attacker to remove the Alert and send a success.  Whether your
implementation ends up in this scenario or not probably depends upon why
the auth failed and the behavior of your TLS library.

I do not believe that RFC 5216 provides protected result indications.
 It would be a fine thing to add, but it is new to the specification
and I'm not sure that is why the commitment message was added to begin
with."

[BA] EAP-TLS implementations do provide protected result indications.
Due to injection attacks, implementations were modified to support RFC
4137 so as to protect against spoofed EAP-Success and EAP-Failure
messages.  For example, implementations of the EAP-TLS state machine
should not be driven by EAP-Success and EAP-Failure messages, which
are unprotected. This ensures that an Alert sent after Finish will be
correctly recognized as an alternate failure indication, regardless of
whether an attacker injected an EAP-Success message in between.