On Apr 14, 2021, at 1:29 PM, Tim Cappalli <tim.cappa...@microsoft.com> wrote:

> The equivalent to HTTPS with EAP would be if the ESSID was a subject name in
> the certificate and ESSIDs could be registered and validated. That doesn't
> exist today and wouldn't ever really work (or scale). The closest thing to it
> is server certificates for Passpoint OSU, which have their own issues and
> aren't feasible for most deployments.

  Configuring known ESSIDs is good, but I'm not sure how they're relevant for
security.

  At a high level, if the certificates are OK, then TLS protects you from
whatever is going on in the underlying transport layer.

  Having "known SSIDs" only matters for subsequent traffic flow, I think.  At
that point, channel bindings (RFC 6677) become more useful.

> Given the significant changes required in both EAP clients and EAP servers
> for TLS 1.3, I think the time is appropriate for making the server
> certificate requirements more strict. This is likely the last chance for a
> long time.

  I strongly suspect that there's no consensus here, and this really isn't the
document to do it in.  The issues are much larger than for just EAP-TLS.

  Alan DeKok.