I still find the proposed Section 2.1 confusing.  How about this?

"If the TLS implementation correctly implements TLS version negotiation,
EAP-TLS will automatically leverage that capability.
The EAP-TLS implementation needs to know which version of TLS was
negotiated to correctly support EAP-TLS 1.3 as well as to maintain backward
compatibility with EAP-TLS 1.2.

TLS 1.3 changes both the message flow and the handshake messages compared
to earlier versions of TLS. Therefore, much of Section 2.1 of [RFC5216]
does not apply for TLS 1.3. Except for Sections 2.2 and 5.7 this document
applies only when TLS 1.3 is negotiated. When TLS 1.2 is negotiated, then
[RFC5216] applies."