Alan,

A few things with this text:

I'm having some issues with Section 3.3:

                The peer SHOULD verify the validity of the EAP server
                certificate and SHOULD also examine the EAP server name presented in                 the certificate in order to determine whether the EAP server can be
                trusted.

How?  Let me put this another way: if we don't specify the how, we should omit the text and leave it as a matter of policy for the peer.

                In addition,
                implementations MUST support matching the realm portion of the peer's                 NAI against a SubjectAltName of type dNSName within the server
                certificate.

I interpret that text to mean that the *peer* MUST verify that the rhs of the NAI that it sent matches the dnsName of the server cert SAN.  The value of this being to validate that the radius packet has been routed to the right server?  I *think* this is okay.

With regard to:

                Note that since TLS client certificates are sent in the clear with                 TLS 1.2 and earlier, if identity protection is required, then it is                 possible for the TLS authentication to be renegotiated after the                 first server authentication.  To accomplish this, the server will                 typically not request a certificate in the server_hello; then, after                 the server_finished message is sent and before TEAP Phase 2, the
                server MAY send a TLS hello_request.

Has anyone coded this for TEAP?  Also, I think the diagrams in the Appendix may need some updating.

On the following addition:

            Where the inner method does not provide an MSK or EMSK, the Crypto-                 Binding TLV offers little protection, as it cannot tie the inner EMSK                 to the TLS session via the TLS-PRF.  As a result, the TEAP session                 will be vulnerable to on-path active attacks. Implementations and                 deployments SHOULD adopt various mitigation strategies described in
                [RFC7029] Section 3.2.

Does this have an impact either with cert ops or the Phase 1 auth and close as discussed previously?

I may have a few more comments after the weekend.

Eliot