On Oct 31, 2023, at 6:28 AM, josh.howl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Playing Devil's Advocate and going a bit OT: this is an excellent goal, so
> why stop at EAP-FIDO?
>
> We could define a similar validation logic for the existing TLS-based methods
> to obtain the same benefit. For example:
> * The value of the EAP-Identity/Response NAI realm is a well-formed FQDN
> * The phase 1 server certificate is issued by the WebPKI
> * The phase 1 server certificate's name takes a value that corresponds to the
> NAI realm
>
> The supplicant trusts the server if the certificate is valid and the realm
> matches (hand-wave) the certificate name. I think this is the moral
> equivalent of section 4.2.5 with Option B in Appendix B. The same validation
> logic could be used in phase 1 of the existing tunnel methods, and the inner
> method (e.g. EAP-FIDO) executed in phase 2 as usual.
>
> It makes no sense to update the existing methods, but perhaps it could be
> offered as guidance for existing named methods (and referenced in new methods
> where it makes sense).

  I think that's a pretty reasonable suggestion.  It works for the web, email,
and pretty much every other TLS-based protocol.  Why not EAP?

  I would only add to that that any such method should be limited to just
sending a clear-text password.  There's no reason to continue allowing MS-CHAP
and CHAP.

  Alan DeKok.