Support Indian NGOs Campaign for Comprehensive Legislation on Domestic Violence
http://www.learningpartnership.org/events/newsalerts/india0202.html

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Women's Learning Partnership's (WLP's) activist colleagues in South Asia
have brought to our attention a government bill on domestic violence
currently under consideration in India. The proposed legislation, however,
does not adequately address all aspects of domestic violence against women
and needs to be expanded and revised in accordance with the suggestions
proposed by women activists in India. For background information, please
see below. We would like to give support for the realization of a
substantial review of the proposed government bill and hope you will join
us by adding your signature to WLP's letter to the bill's sponsor, the
Minister of Human Resource Development Dr. Murli Manohar Joshi. This
information is available on our website at
http://www.learningpartnership.org/events/newsalerts/india0202.html

Indian NGOs, activists, and women's organizations have been campaigning for
a civil law on domestic violence since December 1999. Pursuant to extensive
consultations with women s groups from across India, in-depth academic
research, grassroots action, and experience working with victims of
domestic violence, in 2001 the New Delhi-based Lawyers Collective, Women's
Rights Initiative (LCWRI) drafted a bill for the prevention of domestic
violence against women with unanimous support from numerous Indian women's
organizations. LCWRI had the opportunity to share their proposed
legislation with the Government of India at various fora. On December 11,
2001, the Government of India's Ministry of Human Resource Development
published and circulated "The Protection from Domestic Violence Bill,
2001". This bill was introduced in Parliament on February 18, 2002.

While LCWRI welcomes the Government's recognition of the necessity of
legislation on violence against women, the content of the proposed
government bill falls short of the necessary reforms. For example, the
government bill defines domestic violence in a manner that fails to capture
women's experience of abuse and violence at home, and does not correspond
to definitions contained in the United Nations framework for model
legislation on domestic violence and in international conventions to which
India is party such as the Convention on the Elimination of all forms of
Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) (1993). The proposed legislation
allocates no specific funds for and lacks any mandate for monitoring and
effectively implementing the new law, fails to address the need to train
and educate law enforcement officers about domestic violence, and proposes
no mechanism for disseminating information on the rights of domestic
violence survivors or the specific obligations of the state in upholding
the new laws. Furthermore, it vests jurisdiction in the Magistrates Court
instead of the civil court. Because domestic violence issues are often
connected with long standing matrimonial disputes decided by civil courts,
it is preferable that civil courts have jurisdiction over matters of
domestic violence so that survivors need deal with only one court for all
related grievances.

To join WLP in supporting LCWRI's campaign for a substantial review of the
proposed government bill, add your signature to WLP's letter to the
Minister of Human Resource Development (found below). To do so, please
Alternatively, GO TO
http://www.learningpartnership.org/events/newsalerts/india0202.html#support
to submit your information.

March 8, 2002

Dr. Murli Manohar Joshi
Minister of Human Resource Development
301, C Wing
Shastri Bhawan
New Delhi 110 001, India

Honorable Minister,

We are writing in support of India s continued effort to improve the status
of women. We are encouraged by the introduction of national legislation on
domestic violence that illustrates the government's concern for the
situation of Indian women. Furthermore, the Indian people are to be saluted
for the creation of a Constitution that subscribes to the principles,
rights, and obligations delineated in international covenants and that
reaffirms India's commitment to equal rights for all citizens. India's
ratification of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights
(ICCPR) in 1979 and the Convention on the Elimination of all forms of
Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) in 1993 further bespeak your nation's
commitment to improving the condition of Indian women.

We hope that in its deliberations during the current session, members of
Parliament will continue to bear in mind the spirit of the international
covenants to which India is a signatory. We believe your personal support
for legislation providing survivors of domestic violence greater rights and
protection under Indian law is important for ensuring its success. Having
reviewed the proposed "Protection From Domestic Violence Bill, 2001," we
would like to note that a more detailed definition of domestic violence in
accordance with the United Nations framework for model legislation on
domestic violence, along with other revisions such as those proposed by
NGOs, activists, and women s organizations from across India, would further
strengthen an important piece of legislation.

We, the undersigned international non-governmental organizations and
activists, would like to express our whole-hearted support for these
significant efforts and urge you to consider revisions that would
strengthen the impact of the proposed government bill on domestic violence.

Respectfully,

cc:

Mr. Arun Jaitley
Minister of Law, Justice and Company Affairs
401, A Wing
Shastri Bhawan
New Delhi 110 001, India

Smt. Sumitra Mahajan
Minister of State for Department of Women and Child Development
Ministry of Human Resource Development
Shastri Bhawan
New Delhi 110 001, India

Mrs. Margaret Alva
Chairperson of the Standing Committee for the Empowerment of Women
12, Safdarjung Lane
New Delhi 110 003, India

Women's Learning Partnership
4343 Montgomery Avenue, Suite 201
Bethesda MD 20814, USA
Ph: (301) 654 2774 ... Fax: (301) 654 2775
http://www.learningpartnership.org/
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

***End-violence is sponsored by UNIFEM and receives generous support from
ICAP***
subscribe end-violence OR type: unsubscribe end-violence
Archives of previous End-violence messages can be found at:
http://www.edc.org/GLG/end-violence/hypermail/