On 12/17/2012 05:52 PM, Andrew Cathrow wrote:
... and let's not call this CPU overcommit feature. It's nothing like that - it's
"Hyperthread handling"

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon Grinberg" <si...@redhat.com>
To: "Greg Padgett" <gpadg...@redhat.com>
Cc: "engine-devel" <engine-devel@ovirt.org>
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2012 1:13:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Engine-devel] CPU Overcommit Feature

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Padgett" <gpadg...@redhat.com>
To: "engine-devel" <engine-devel@ovirt.org>
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2012 4:37:57 PM
Subject: [Engine-devel] CPU Overcommit Feature

Hi,

I've been working on a feature to allow CPU Overcommitment of hosts
in a
cluster.  This first stage allows the engine to consider host cpu
threads
as cores for the purposes of VM resource allocation.

This wiki page has further details, your comments are welcome!
http://www.ovirt.org/Features/cpu_overcommit

Basically looking good.
Hyperthread though is vendor specific.

For AMD it's Clustered Multi-Thread while for Intel it's Hyper-Thread
Official name is  simultaneous multithreading (SMT) but no one
outside of the academy will recognize that.

in libvirt if I read it right it's <attribute name='thread_siblings'>

So why not just call it threads.
We'll have cpuSockets, cpiCores, and cpuThreads, should be clear when
in CPU context.

In the GUI just change hyperthreads to CPU threads. While in the tool
tip explain that it's either AMD Clustered Multi-Thread or Intel
Hyperthread

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Thanks Simon and Andrew. I've moved the wiki page [1] (with a redirect at the old name), updated the terms within to not be vendor-specific, and will do the same with the implementation.

[1] http://www.ovirt.org/Features/cpu_thread_handling