Neil Gaiman on Why We Read and What Books Do for the Human Experience
<http://brainpickings.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=13eb080d8a315477042e0d5b1&id=70cf669fb8&e=ced67c99b1>

<http://brainpickings.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=13eb080d8a315477042e0d5b1&id=004a48ced2&e=ced67c99b1>

The question of why we read and what books actually do for us is as old as
the written word itself, and as attractive. Galileo saw reading as a way of
having superhuman powers
<http://brainpickings.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=13eb080d8a315477042e0d5b1&id=58ec214c93&e=ced67c99b1>.
For Kafka, books were “the axe for the frozen sea within us”
<http://brainpickings.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=13eb080d8a315477042e0d5b1&id=7649ec6658&e=ced67c99b1>;
Carl Sagan held them as “proof that humans are capable of working magic”
<http://brainpickings.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=13eb080d8a315477042e0d5b1&id=b09f4d49b1&e=ced67c99b1>;
James Baldwin found in them a way to change one’s destiny
<http://brainpickings.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=13eb080d8a315477042e0d5b1&id=6cd2250183&e=ced67c99b1>;
for Polish Nobel laureate Wislawa Szymborska, they stood as our ultimate
frontier of freedom
<http://brainpickings.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=13eb080d8a315477042e0d5b1&id=c0d6fb7968&e=ced67c99b1>
.

But one of the finest, most dimensional inquiries into the significance of
books and the role of reading in human life comes from *Neil Gaiman* in a
beautiful piece titled “Why Our Future Depends on Libraries, Reading and
Daydreaming.”
Gaiman considers how the act of reading changes us, “what it’s good for”:

*Once in New York, I listened to a talk about the building of private
prisons—a huge growth industry in America. The prison industry needs to
plan its future growth — how many cells are they going to need? How many
prisoners are there going to be, fifteen years from now? And they found
they could predict it very easily, using a pretty simple algorithm, based
about asking what percentage of ten- and eleven-year-olds couldn’t read.
And certainly couldn’t read for pleasure.*

Echoing Madeleine L’Engle’s spirited 1983 lecture on creativity,
censorship, and the duty of children’s books
<http://brainpickings.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=13eb080d8a315477042e0d5b1&id=a6030b3800&e=ced67c99b1>,
Gaiman considers how otherwise well-intentioned adults might thwart the
seed of that life-enlarging and sometimes even life-saving passion for
reading. In a passage of particular urgency for parents and educators, he
writes:

I don’t think there is such a thing as a bad book for children. Every now
and again it becomes fashionable among some adults to point at a subset of
children’s books, a genre, perhaps, or an author, and to declare them bad
books, books that children should be stopped from reading. I’ve seen it
happen over and over; Enid Blyton was declared a bad author, so was R. L.
Stine, so were dozens of others. Comics have been decried as fostering
illiteracy.

It’s tosh. It’s snobbery and it’s foolishness.

There are no bad authors for children, that children like and want to read
and seek out, because every child is different. They can find the stories
they need to, and they bring themselves to stories. A hackneyed, worn-out
idea isn’t hackneyed and worn out to someone encountering it for the first
time. You don’t discourage children from reading because you feel they are
reading the wrong thing. Fiction you do not like is the gateway drug to
other books you may prefer them to read. And not everyone has the same
taste as you.

Well-meaning adults can easily destroy a child’s love of reading: stop them
reading what they enjoy, or give them worthy-but-dull books that you like,
the twenty- first-century equivalents of Victorian “improving” literature.
You’ll wind up with a generation convinced that reading is uncool and,
worse, unpleasant.

Gaiman then turns to the second key function of literature — its
unparalleled ability to foster empathy. In a sentiment that calls to mind
Rebecca Solnit’s inspired assertion that “a book is a heart that beats in
the chest of another,”
<http://brainpickings.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=13eb080d8a315477042e0d5b1&id=358a9ebdf3&e=ced67c99b1>
he writes:

When you watch TV or see a film, you are looking at things happening to
other people. Prose fiction is something you build up from twenty-six
letters and a handful of punctuation marks, and you, and you alone, using
your imagination, create a world, and people it and look out through other
eyes. You get to feel things, visit places and worlds you would never
otherwise know. You learn that everyone else out there is a me, as well.
You’re being someone else, and when you return to your own world, you’re
going to be slightly changed.

Empathy is a tool for building people into groups, for allowing us to
function as more than self-obsessed individuals.

In a sentiment reminiscent of Ursula K. Le Guin’s electrifying case for how
imaginative storytelling expands our scope of the possible
<http://brainpickings.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=13eb080d8a315477042e0d5b1&id=71e767dff9&e=ced67c99b1>,
Gaiman points to a third essential function of fiction in human life — its
ability to introduce us to different versions of the world by envisioning
alternate possibilities for the way things are:

*Fiction can show you a different world. It can take you somewhere you’ve
never been. Once you’ve visited other worlds, like those who ate fairy
fruit, you can never be entirely content with the world that you grew up
in. And discontent is a good thing: people can modify and improve their
worlds, leave them better, leave them different, if they’re discontented.*

But perhaps the surest way to foil a budding love of reading is to cut off
access to books altogether, and there is no greater hedge against that
hazard than the library — that sacred place Thoreau once extolled as a
glorious “wilderness of books.”
<http://brainpickings.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=13eb080d8a315477042e0d5b1&id=6cb9ae9c58&e=ced67c99b1>
(*“When a library is open, no matter its size or shape,”* Bill Moyers wrote
in his foreword to a recent photographic love letter to libraries
<http://brainpickings.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=13eb080d8a315477042e0d5b1&id=ac90633c55&e=ced67c99b1>,
*“democracy is open, too.”*) Gaiman recounts the formative role of the
library in his own life:

*I was lucky. I had an excellent local library growing up. I had the kind
of parents who could be persuaded to drop me off in the library on their
way to work in my summer holidays, and the kind of librarians who did not
mind a small, unaccompanied boy heading back into the children’s library
every morning and working his way through the card catalogue, looking for
books with ghosts or magic or rockets in them, looking for vampires or
detectives or witches or wonders. And when I had finished reading the
children’s library I began on the adult books.*

Gaiman reflects:

They were good librarians. They liked books and they liked the books being
read. They taught me how to order books from other libraries on
interlibrary loans. They had no snobbery about anything I read. They just
seemed to like that there was this wide-eyed little boy who loved to read,
and they would talk to me about the books I was reading, they would find me
other books in a series, they would help. They treated me as another reader
— nothing less, nothing more — which meant they treated me with respect. I
was not used to being treated with respect as an eight-year-old.

Libraries are about Freedom. Freedom to read, freedom of ideas, freedom of
communication. They are about education (which is not a process that
finishes the day we leave school or university), about entertainment, about
making safe spaces, and about access to information.

Writing nearly a century after Hermann Hesse’s magnificent manifesto for
why the book will never lose its magic
<http://brainpickings.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=13eb080d8a315477042e0d5b1&id=4327306ecd&e=ced67c99b1>
no matter how technology evolves, Gaiman borrows a prefect metaphor to
substantiate his belief that books will endure in and perhaps past the age
of screens:

As Douglas Adams once pointed out to me, over twenty years before the
Kindle showed up, a physical book is like a shark. Sharks are old: there
were sharks in the ocean before the dinosaurs. And the reason there are
still sharks around is that sharks are better at being sharks than anything
else is. Physical books are tough, hard to destroy, bath resistant, solar
operated, feel good in your hand: they are good at being books, and there
will always be a place for them.

But Gaiman takes care not to confuse the medium with the message — it is
reading that counts, and its rewards are medium-agnostic. He writes:

We need libraries. We need books. We need literate citizens.

I do not care — I do not believe it matters — whether these books are paper
or digital, whether you are reading on a scroll or scrolling on a screen.
The content is the important thing.

But a book is also the content, and that’s important.

Books are the way that we communicate with the dead. The way that we learn
lessons from those who are no longer with us, that humanity has built on
itself, progressed, made knowledge incremental rather than something that
has to be relearned, over and over. There are tales that are older than
most countries, tales that have long outlasted the cultures and the
buildings in which they were first told.

These tales have survived on the shoulders of people who have done their
part to transmit them forward — something Gaiman examined in his
excellent lecture
on how stories last
<http://brainpickings.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=13eb080d8a315477042e0d5b1&id=031c857106&e=ced67c99b1>.
He considers what it would take to uphold our own responsibilities to the
future — as readers, as writers, as citizens, and as members of the
storytelling species:

*I believe we have an obligation to read for pleasure, in private and in
public places. If we read for pleasure, if others see us reading, then we
learn, we exercise our imaginations. We show others that reading is a good
thing.*

We have an obligation to support libraries. To use libraries, to encourage
others to use libraries, to protest the closure of libraries. If you do not
value libraries then you do not value information or culture or wisdom. You
are silencing the voices of the past and you are damaging the future.

*We have an obligation to read aloud to our children. To read them things
they enjoy. To read to them stories we are already tired of. To do the
voices, to make it interesting, and not to stop reading to them just
because they learn to read to themselves. We have an obligation to use
reading-aloud time as bonding time, as time when no phones are being
checked, when the distractions of the world are put aside.*

We have an obligation to use the language. To push ourselves: to find out
what words mean and how to deploy them, to communicate clearly, to say what
we mean. We must not attempt to freeze language, or to pretend it is a dead
thing that must be revered, but we should use it as a living thing, that
flows, that borrows words, that allows meanings and pronunciations to
change with time.

We writers — and especially writers for children, but all writers — have an
obligation to our readers: it’s the obligation to write true things,
especially important when we are creating tales of people who do not exist
in places that never were — to understand that truth is not in what happens
but in what it tells us about who we are. Fiction is the lie that tells the
truth, after all. We have an obligation not to bore our readers, but to
make them need to turn the pages. One of the best cures for a reluctant
reader, after all, is a tale they cannot stop themselves from reading. And
while we must tell our readers true things and give them weapons and give
them armor and pass on whatever wisdom we have gleaned from our short stay
on this green world, we have an obligation not to preach, not to lecture,
not to force predigested morals and messages down our readers’ throats like
adult birds feeding their babies pre-masticated maggots; and we have an
obligation never, ever, under any circumstances, to write anything for
children to read that we would not want to read ourselves.

We have an obligation to understand and to acknowledge that as writers for
children we are doing important work, because if we mess it up and write
dull books that turn children away from reading and from books, we’ve
lessened our own future and diminished theirs.

source -
http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=13eb080d8a315477042e0d5b1&id=5173218563&e=ced67c99b1
Guru,
IT for Change, Bengaluru
www.ITforChange.net

--
EnglishSTF Link: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/englishstf

--

*For doubts on Ubuntu and other public software, visit
http://karnatakaeducation.org.in/KOER/en/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions

**Are you using pirated software? Use Sarvajanika Tantramsha, see
http://karnatakaeducation.org.in/KOER/en/index.php/Public_Software ಸಾರ್ವಜನಿಕ
ಇಲಾಖೆಗೆ  ಸಾರ್ವಜನಿಕ  ತಂತ್ರಾಂಶ
***If a teacher wants to join STF-read
http://karnatakaeducation.org.in/KOER/en/index.php/Become_a_STF_groups_member