Dear teachers,

Happy Republic day ... As we celebrates the  68th Republic Day, we should
think to what extent the goals of 'justice,liberty, equality and
fraternity' that the preamble to the constitution  (
http://www.constitution.org/cons/india/preamble.html) spoke of, are being
promoted or compromised by the advance of the Internet ....

The recent focus on digitalization, smart cities, cashless economies etc
should be explored in this light ...

As the mail says in the end, *"Let’s not assume history has any inevitable
direction.  If you want things to move in a particular way, you have to do
things to make it happen.  History is made by people – that’s us."*

Let us all think, discuss and deliberate in what direction we would like
our country to move towards .... Some of the digital advances may make our
lives more comfortable and efficient, but, as the mail suggests, some
advances clearly dilute our liberty and increase the inequities and
injustice in our society... Gandhi's ideal of 'antyodaya' meant that our
decisions should be guided by the impact on the most marginalized sections
of our society and our digital society should also be a just and equitable
one....

Comments welcome...

regards,
Guru