Dear teachers

You would have celebrated June 5th as World Environment day in your schools
... hopefully with sapling(s) being planted... or a water conservation
program etc ...
Usually these days, we hear news about environment destruction and sharing
positive news/stories can give us good role models....

I am sharing two happy news from our neighbouring state Kerala.Request if
you could share positive stories from your schools/communities as well ....

regards,
Guru

source -
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/615554/kerala-plants-one-crore-saplings.html

*Kerala joined the nation in observing World Environment Day today with the
government taking lead by distributing one crore saplings for planting
across the state. *

Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan in his Environment Day message sought the
support and cooperation of all sections of the society in the government's
efforts of tree plantation. Known Malayalam actor Mohanlal participated in
the sapling of plants programme at a college here. Governor P Sathasivam
planted a sapling at the Raja Bhavan compound as part of day's
celebrations. Schools, local self-government bodies and voluntary
associations took part in the plant sapling programmes of the government
under 'Green Kerala Mission'.

Importance of this year's tree plantation is that government has done away
with acacia and eucalyptus that draw a lot of groundwater and distributed
only fruit bearing and environment friendly trees. A campaign titled
'Connecting People to Nature' was also launched besides starting a
programme to cut down trees that were harmful to the environment.
Meanwhile, BJP as part of its green campaign 'Jalswaraj’, distributed more
than 10 lakh saplings across the state for planting.

2
*Kerala govt implements 'green protocol' for weddings*

source -
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/615767/kerala-govt-implements-green-protocol.html

Wedding ceremonies in Kerala are all set to become 'green', with the state
government coming out with a green-protocol to make the auspicious
occasions more nature-friendly.
With the implementation of the protocol, plastic and other non-degradable
articles including disposable glasses and plates and thermocol decorations
will be kept at bay from marriage functions. Instead of this, people would
be persuaded to use tumblers, plates and other utensils made of glass and
environment-friendly metals, officials sources here said. Inspections will
be held at marriage halls, convention centres and hotels and other venues
of the wedding ceremony in this regard and action would be taken if the
protocol is violated, they said.

'Suchitwa Mission', the state nodal agency for sanitation, has already
launched the initiative in Kannur, Ernakulam, Kollam and Alappuzha on a
pilot basis. C V Joy, Director (Operations), Suchitwa Mission, said the
green-protocol was launched as part as part of the government's
anti-plastic drive and Green-Kerala Mission. "The core objective of the
initiative is to reduce the use of plastic in daily life. Plastic articles
including glasses and plates are used in large numbers during functions,
especially marriage ceremonies in the state," he told PTI.

With the effective implementation of green protocol, the amount of plastic
could be reduced in the long run. "We can reuse, recycle and reduce
plastic. But, even if we reuse such non-degradable articles, there will not
be much decline in its presence. So, reducing its use is the more effective
way to achieve our plastic-free society goal," he said. The Mission has
joined hands with district administration, panchayat authorities and
socio-cultural and religious outfit for the green-protocol initiative.

The cooperation of the owners of marriage halls and convention centres has
also been sought, he said."We are planning the protocol as a sort of
awareness drive. Though we have legal backing, we are trying to implement
it with the support of the marriage parties and the owners of wedding
halls. Mutual understanding is essential for its success," he said. Special
squads, comprising officials of Suchitwa Mission and revenue department,
have been formed to carry out inspections in wedding halls and videograph
the ceremony. Action would be taken based on the nature of utensils and
articles used there.

"It is being effectively implemented in Kannur. In Ernakulam, the district
administration is issuing green marriage certificate for those weddings
which abide by the protocol completely," he said. The protocol would be
implemented in the rest of the districts soon, the official added.
IT for Change, Bengaluru
www.ITforChange.net

--
1.ವಿಷಯ ಶಿಕ್ಷಕರ ವೇದಿಕೆಗೆ  ಶಿಕ್ಷಕರನ್ನು ಸೇರಿಸಲು ಈ  ಅರ್ಜಿಯನ್ನು ತುಂಬಿರಿ.