Dear teachers,

Greetings on Eid-Ul-Fitr.

Though the article below is mostly about economics, education will also be
impacted greatly.

In the area of education, AI / Big data will come through 'personal
analytics' in which student assessment data on large scale will be analysed
to 'predict' individual student learning methods/outcomes and based on
that, the 'teacher' will be 'advised' on content and pedagogy.  Like in
many other professions, this will result in de-skiling teaching.

This will need to be challenged by questioning if individual learning
possibilities can ever be predicted... since it hits at the root of learner
agency. If developing abilities for creating new life possibilities is one
of the important aims of education, then relying on the past alone will
restrict this aim....

But this is clearly an issue which educationists need to start thinking
about and creating responses/positions, before the school managements /
education systems eagerly welcome such possibilities, that the Google's of
the world will offer....  of control of teaching-learning. Overall, a
political response will be required to regulate/direct these technological
trends.

Comments, feedback welcome.

regards,
Guru

Source -
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/opinion/sunday/artificial-intelligence-economic-inequality.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-1&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region

By KAI-FU LEEJUNE 24, 2017

BEIJING — What worries you about the coming world of artificial
intelligence?

Too often the answer to this question resembles the plot of a sci-fi
thriller. People worry that developments in A.I. will bring about the
“singularity” — that point in history when A.I. surpasses human
intelligence, leading to an unimaginable revolution in human affairs. Or
they wonder whether instead of our controlling artificial intelligence, it
will control us, turning us, in effect, into cyborgs.

These are interesting issues to contemplate, but they are not pressing.
They concern situations that may not arise for hundreds of years, if ever.
At the moment, there is no known path from our best A.I. tools (like the
Google computer program that recently beat the world’s best player of the
game of Go) to “general” A.I. — self-aware computer programs that can
engage in common-sense reasoning, attain knowledge in multiple domains,
feel, express and understand emotions and so on.

This doesn’t mean we have nothing to worry about. On the contrary, the A.I.
products that now exist are improving faster than most people realize and
promise to radically transform our world, not always for the better. They
are only tools, not a competing form of intelligence. But they will reshape
what work means and how wealth is created, leading to unprecedented
economic inequalities and even altering the global balance of power.

It is imperative that we turn our attention to these imminent challenges.

What is artificial intelligence today? Roughly speaking, it’s technology
that takes in huge amounts of information from a specific domain (say, loan
repayment histories) and uses it to make a decision in a specific case
(whether to give an individual a loan) in the service of a specified goal
(maximizing profits for the lender). Think of a spreadsheet on steroids,
trained on big data. These tools can outperform human beings at a given
task.

This kind of A.I. is spreading to thousands of domains (not just loans),
and as it does, it will eliminate many jobs. Bank tellers, customer service
representatives, telemarketers, stock and bond traders, even paralegals and
radiologists will gradually be replaced by such software. Over time this
technology will come to control semiautonomous and autonomous hardware like
self-driving cars and robots, displacing factory workers, construction
workers, drivers, delivery workers and many others.

Unlike the Industrial Revolution and the computer revolution, the A.I.
revolution is not taking certain jobs (artisans, personal assistants who
use paper and typewriters) and replacing them with other jobs
(assembly-line workers, personal assistants conversant with computers).
Instead, it is poised to bring about a wide-scale decimation of jobs —
mostly lower-paying jobs, but some higher-paying ones, too.

This transformation will result in enormous profits for the companies that
develop A.I., as well as for the companies that adopt it. Imagine how much
money a company like Uber would make if it used only robot drivers. Imagine
the profits if Apple could manufacture its products without human labor.
Imagine the gains to a loan company that could issue 30 million loans a
year with virtually no human involvement. (As it happens, my venture
capital firm has invested in just such a loan company.)

We are thus facing two developments that do not sit easily together:
enormous wealth concentrated in relatively few hands and enormous numbers
of people out of work. What is to be done?

Part of the answer will involve educating or retraining people in tasks
A.I. tools aren’t good at. Artificial intelligence is poorly suited for
jobs involving creativity, planning and “cross-domain” thinking — for
example, the work of a trial lawyer. But these skills are typically
required by high-paying jobs that may be hard to retrain displaced workers
to do. More promising are lower-paying jobs involving the “people skills”
that A.I. lacks: social workers, bartenders, concierges — professions
requiring nuanced human interaction. But here, too, there is a problem: How
many bartenders does a society really need?

The solution to the problem of mass unemployment, I suspect, will involve
“service jobs of love.” These are jobs that A.I. cannot do, that society
needs and that give people a sense of purpose. Examples include
accompanying an older person to visit a doctor, mentoring at an orphanage
and serving as a sponsor at Alcoholics Anonymous — or, potentially soon,
Virtual Reality Anonymous (for those addicted to their parallel lives in
computer-generated simulations). The volunteer service jobs of today, in
other words, may turn into the real jobs of the future.

Other volunteer jobs may be higher-paying and professional, such as
compassionate medical service providers who serve as the “human interface”
for A.I. programs that diagnose cancer. In all cases, people will be able
to choose to work fewer hours than they do now.

Who will pay for these jobs? Here is where the enormous wealth concentrated
in relatively few hands comes in. It strikes me as unavoidable that large
chunks of the money created by A.I. will have to be transferred to those
whose jobs have been displaced. This seems feasible only through Keynesian
policies of increased government spending, presumably raised through
taxation on wealthy companies.

As for what form that social welfare would take, I would argue for a
conditional universal basic income: welfare offered to those who have a
financial need, on the condition they either show an effort to receive
training that would make them employable or commit to a certain number of
hours of “service of love” voluntarism.

To fund this, tax rates will have to be high. The government will not only
have to subsidize most people’s lives and work; it will also have to
compensate for the loss of individual tax revenue previously collected from
employed individuals.

This leads to the final and perhaps most consequential challenge of A.I.
The Keynesian approach I have sketched out may be feasible in the United
States and China, which will have enough successful A.I. businesses to fund
welfare initiatives via taxes. But what about other countries?

They face two insurmountable problems. First, most of the money being made
from artificial intelligence will go to the United States and China. A.I.
is an industry in which strength begets strength: The more data you have,
the better your product; the better your product, the more data you can
collect; the more data you can collect, the more talent you can attract;
the more talent you can attract, the better your product. It’s a virtuous
circle, and the United States and China have already amassed the talent,
market share and data to set it in motion.

For example, the Chinese speech-recognition company iFlytek and several
Chinese face-recognition companies such as Megvii and SenseTime have become
industry leaders, as measured by market capitalization. The United States
is spearheading the development of autonomous vehicles, led by companies
like Google, Tesla and Uber. As for the consumer internet market, seven
American or Chinese companies — Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon, Baidu,
Alibaba and Tencent — are making extensive use of A.I. and expanding
operations to other countries, essentially owning those A.I. markets. It
seems American businesses will dominate in developed markets and some
developing markets, while Chinese companies will win in most developing
markets.

The other challenge for many countries that are not China or the United
States is that their populations are increasing, especially in the
developing world. While a large, growing population can be an economic
asset (as in China and India in recent decades), in the age of A.I. it will
be an economic liability because it will comprise mostly displaced workers,
not productive ones.

So if most countries will not be able to tax ultra-profitable A.I.
companies to subsidize their workers, what options will they have? I
foresee only one: Unless they wish to plunge their people into poverty,
they will be forced to negotiate with whichever country supplies most of
their A.I. software — China or the United States — to essentially become
that country’s economic dependent, taking in welfare subsidies in exchange
for letting the “parent” nation’s A.I. companies continue to profit from
the dependent country’s users. Such economic arrangements would reshape
today’s geopolitical alliances.

One way or another, we are going to have to start thinking about how to
minimize the looming A.I.-fueled gap between the haves and the have-nots,
both within and between nations. Or to put the matter more optimistically:
A.I. is presenting us with an opportunity to rethink economic inequality on
a global scale. These challenges are too far-ranging in their effects for
any nation to isolate itself from the rest of the world.
---

Kai-Fu Lee is the chairman and chief executive of Sinovation Ventures, a
venture capital firm, and the president of its Artificial Intelligence
Institute.

Guru
IT for Change, Bengaluru
www.ITforChange.net

--
1.ವಿಷಯ ಶಿಕ್ಷಕರ ವೇದಿಕೆಗೆ  ಶಿಕ್ಷಕರನ್ನು ಸೇರಿಸಲು ಈ  ಅರ್ಜಿಯನ್ನು ತುಂಬಿರಿ.