As teachers we have to bring in climate change / global warming into our
classes ... and support students and communities to adopt habits that can
conserve our environment .... the mantra is re-use, recycle, repair ......
we have to reduce our consumption as well ....

This is what the wise people always said .... 'simple living, high
thinking' and this lesson needs to be learnt and lived by all of us now

regards,

Guru

***************

On Sunday night, the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change dropped
an urgent report on the state of global warming
<https://www.wired.com/story/guide-climate-change/>. Simply put: The laws
of the physical universe say that we can keep global warming to 1.5 degrees
Celsius above pre-industrial levels, the optimistic goal set out in the Paris
Agreement <https://www.wired.com/2017/06/us-leaves-paris-accord/>, but
we’re quickly running out of time. As in, we may reach that 1.5 in as
little as a dozen years at the rate we’re spewing emissions. And the
consequences will be disastrous.

To correct course and avoid 1.5 C, or 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit, we’ll need to
cut emissions by half before 2030, and go carbon-neutral by 2050, the
report says. That gives us three decades to transform our energy production
into something unrecognizable, with renewable energy galore combined with
carbon capture techniques like the bolstering of forests, and maybe even
sucking the stuff out of the atmosphere and trapping it underground. We’ll
have to change our behavior as individuals, too. Meaning, we’re looking at
unprecedented change, what is essentially the restructuring of civilization.

“The report has sent a very clear message that if we don't act now and have
substantial reductions in carbon dioxide emissions over the next decade, we
are really making it very challenging to impossible to keep warming below
1.5 degrees,” said the IPCC’s Jim Skea at a press conference announcing the
report, a massive survey <http://www.ipcc.ch/report/sr15/> by almost 100
authors (and 1,000 reviewers) citing 6,000 studies.

The 2015 Paris Agreement included the 1.5 goal at the urging of island
nations, which rising seas are threatening to drown
<https://www.newscientist.com/article/2146594-eight-low-lying-pacific-islands-swallowed-whole-by-rising-seas/>.
The less ambitious—though still very daunting—goal is 2 degrees.

Which, according to this new report, would be far more ruinous. At 2
degrees, 10 million more people will be at risk of rising seas than at 1.5
degrees. That extra half a degree also means significantly larger
populations will be exposed to water shortages. You’re looking at an ever
greater loss of biodiversity, worsening storms, ever more people thrust
into poverty, and relentlessly shrinking yields for essential crops like
rice and maize and wheat.

Basically, a difference of just half a degree may not seem like much when
you’re choosing what to wear for the day, but it’s going to make climate
change far, far worse, a point this report drives home in exhaustive
detail. “It shows that half a degree of global warming does matter and that
limiting it to 1.5°C instead of 2°C would avoid several impacts, including
increases in heatwaves and hot extremes in most inhabited regions, heavy
precipitation in several regions, and droughts in some regions,” says Sonia
Seneviratne, a climate change scientist at ETH Zurich. Plus, limiting
warming would avoid certain irreversible changes related to sea level rise
and the destruction of coral reefs.

“Even more importantly,” Seneviratne adds, “it shows that limiting global
warming to 1.5°C is still physically possible and could be in principle
achieved, although it requires rapid, far-reaching and unprecedented
changes in all aspects of society.”

Still, the outlook is grim. The technological and social change the world
needs dwarfs anything that’s come before in history. “It's not a happy
report,” says Thanu Yakupitiyage, spokesperson for the climate advocacy
group 350.org <https://350.org/>. “They're reporting on the real needs of
the now. We are in the middle of the climate crisis.”

“At the end of the day, what we're talking about is millions of lives at
stake,” Yakupitiyage adds. “We're already seeing the ways in which people
are impacted by heat waves, by rising sea levels, by wildfires, by
hurricanes.”

The Paris Agreement is a remarkable act of international cooperation to
address climate change and these consequences of it, but the pledges made
by individual nations are not enough to limit warming to 1.5 degrees, this
report argues. It also makes clear that it’s not enough to promise that
we’ll put more electric cars on the road, or mothball our coal energy
plants, or that we’ll invest in more solar farms. Hitting that target will
demand a massive rethinking of global energy consumption within a decade.

A bit of borderline rosy news here: While the world at large may be
struggling to meet the ambition of the Paris Agreement, cities have
been leading
the way in cutting emissions
<https://www.wired.com/story/at-the-edge-of-the-world-facing-the-end-of-the-world/>,
competing with each other to deploy technologies like electric cars on
massive scales, but also sharing knowledge of what works and what doesn’t
when it comes to fighting climate change. Consider that in 2016 alone, Los
Angeles cut its emissions by 11 percent, the equivalent of yanking 700,000
cars off the road. All the while, its economy actually grew
<https://www.wired.com/story/how-los-angeles-is-helping-lead-the-fight-against-climate-change/>
.

The IPCC report could be coming at a particularly convenient time. In
December, leaders will gather in Poland for COP24 <http://cop24.gov.pl/>,
known more formally as the 24th Conference of the Parties to the United
Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. And let’s just say they
won’t *not* be talking about this new report.

Janos Pasztor, executive director of the Carnegie Climate Geoengineering
Governance Initiative <https://www.c2g2.net/> and former UN assistant
secretary-general for climate change, predicts that meeting “will be a
significant next step to see what governments actually say in the context
of the climate negotiations about this report.”

The starkness of the report may also spark talk of more elaborate
strategies for fighting climate change than cutting emissions. Scientists
are also toying with the notion of geoengineering
<https://www.wired.com/story/the-us-flirts-with-geoengineering/>. This
could entail carbon capture techniques or solar geoengineering to bounce
the sun’s radiation back into space by spraying aerosols in the atmosphere
or by brightening clouds.

“There will be some pressure from some corners to increasingly look at
options like solar geoengineering,” says Pasztor. “That's a fact of life.
That doesn't mean necessarily that we will have to *use* solar
geoengineering, but if you want to prudently manage global climate risk,
then it's fair to say that one needs to look at all the options.”

Geoengineering, though, comes with a slew of potential problems. You might
spray foam on the ocean surface to reflect light back into space, but
that could
also change the weather
<https://www.wired.com/story/the-sea-could-save-us-from-ourselves/>. And
the issue with such solar radiation management, or SRM, is that even in the
best case, it doesn’t address the underlying problem. “Once emitted, CO2
stays in the atmosphere for millennia,” says Seneviratne. “Any approach
related to SRM only mitigates some of the symptoms of climate change, but
not its root cause, which is the elevated CO2 concentrations.” That means
issues like ocean acidification, which is inflicting wide-ranging harm on
marine life, would remain unaddressed.

Again, we aren’t going to geoengineer our way out of this mess—cutting
emissions is our number one priority. But as this new report makes
abundantly clear, the disease we’ve unleashed on this planet is only
getting worse, and we aren’t doing nearly enough to find the cure.

source -
https://www.wired.com/story/we-need-massive-change-to-avoid-climate-hell/?CNDID=52749757&mbid=nl_100918_daily_list1_p4
Guru,

Education Team
IT for Change
Bangalore
www.ITforChange.net
080 26654134

--
1.ವಿಷಯ ಶಿಕ್ಷಕರ ವೇದಿಕೆಗೆ  ಶಿಕ್ಷಕರನ್ನು ಸೇರಿಸಲು ಈ  ಅರ್ಜಿಯನ್ನು ತುಂಬಿರಿ.