On 03/07/13 00:51, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
> On 07.03.13 05:02, Patrick Fleming wrote:
>> Patrick Brunschwig <patrick <at> enigmail.net> writes:

>> I don't see where I can upgrade my production system to 2.0.16
>> until it's pushed down through CentOS. What is the difference
>> between your command and mine? eval $(gpg-agent --daemon) and
>> gpg-agent --daemon ? I may try this second solution at some point.
>
> The difference is that my version of the command sets the
> GPG_AGENT_INFO environment variable, and yours doesn't.
>
> GnuPG (and Enigmail) dectect that gpg-agent is running based on the
> environment variable. That's the reason why Enigmails tries to start a
> new instance of gpg-agent on your system and you have to kill
> everything manually.
>
> -Patrick

I see that I need to learn more about 'eval'. Having run both commands I
find they both set GPG_AGENT_INFO and I'm not completely sure how they
are functionally different. I do see where I end up with multiple
instances of gpg-agent when using the combined Thunderbird 17.0.3 and
Enigmail 1.5.1.

I'm also not sure how Enigmail 1.4 is different from 1.5.1 in that 1.4
works on the CentOS system and 1.5.1 does not. (And I have no problem on
my Debian system with Enigmail 1.5.1, Thunderbird 17.0.3 and GPG 2.0.14
- 32bit vs 64bit for the CentOS box - maybe that's the difference?)