While Thunderbird is open, but not being used,  just downloading messages in
folders in the background (constantly) - Enigmail will pop up the passphrase
dialog.  I didn't try and open  an encrypted mail, I didn't receive an
encrypted mail into the folder I had open, my best guess is that TB downloaded
an encrypted mail in the background, prompting Enigmail to pop the dialog.

I've enabled debug logging, and there is no indication in the logs about what
message triggers the dialog.  I've long been suspicious of someone using the
Enigmail prompt as a phishing scheme to extract passphrases. So I have a few
questions/suggestions:

1) Is this a known bug/behavior? Does anyone know why this might be happening?
2) Would it be possible to have the subject and a unique identifier of the
message be written to the logfile to identify which message threw the dialog?
3) Would you consider adding UI to the passphrase dialog?  I envision this:

(ASCII designed in

|-----------------------------------------------------------|
|  Please type in your OpenPGP passphrase or SmartCard PIN  |
|  ___________________________________________________      |
|  [__________________________________________________]     |
|  [  ] Remember for 15 idle minutes     Message Details \/ |
|-----------------------------------------------------------|

When clicked, Message Details expands the dialog to:

|-----------------------------------------------------------|
|  Please type in your OpenPGP passphrase or SmartCard PIN  |
|  ___________________________________________________      |
|  [__________________________________________________]     |
|  [  ] Remember for 15 idle minutes     Message Details /\ |
|   Subject: RE: OH MY GOD Becky, look at her butt. It's... |
|   Message ID: ljhilfjh124493ylihd8y3@aidjfi54jkldsfds...  |

This would allow a user to check and see if that message really was received,
or intended to be opened.  If the dialog was not for a Message, it would just
say "Details" and when expanded a phrase like "Your passphrase is needed to
sign KeyID XXXXX" or "Your passphrase is needed to generate a revocation
certificate."  Ultimately the goal is to expose to the user why their
passphrase is needed, so if they want, they can reject the dialog because it
makes no sense.  ("I didn't _try_ to read that message... why is Enigmail
prompting me?")

- -tom