On 04/24/2014 02:52 PM, Mike Acker wrote:
> On 04/23/2014 10:33 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>> FWIW, i fully agree that the right place to fix this misbehavior is in
>> GnuPG itself, not in enigmail.  I care about non-enigmail users of
>> GnuPG, and i definitely don't want to have the headache of synchronizing
>> key selection routines of multiple GnuPG-using applications.
> gnupg doesn't have access to your email directory.
> it has to be corrected in enigmail

eh?  why would access to the contents of my e-mail be a requirement to
select a valid key based on an e-mail address?

> which, as noted, is why they have per recipient rules

I know that enigmail has these rules, and that they are a way to work
around GnuPG's suboptimal key-selection-from-email-address routine.  I
think there may be better ways to resolve these issues if we consider
all the pieces of the stack.

I think GnuPG's key selection routines need to be improved, and that
would obviate the majority of the need for per-recipient rules.

        --dkg