Hi Nico, Dan,

is it necessary to be able to reset to defaults? It complicates things...

What's a default for in that situation (composing a new message)? In my opinion:
just to have a decent initial state. Nothing more. After sending, that what was
changed is irrelevant.

Another thing that put me off: what IS the default? I use many accounts and to
not recall on every account which settings I currently employ. Good UI design
must enable the user to know what to expect from an action like "use default".
_____

I propose to distinguish between standard (rename to "simple?) and expert view:

*1* Simple view

All is set to fully automatic (opportunistic encryption without interaction) and
that default cannot be modified (in standard view only).

To allow exceptions, the user may use the icons or menu. Three entries there:

  Sign message [tick indicates current state]
  Encrypt message [tick indicates current state]
  Switch to expert settings

Note: no PGP/MIME menu entry to switch it. A common user doesn't want to know
what PGP/MIME is. I'd even go as far as to enable HTML (since it's TB default)
and PGP/MIME in simple view.

*2* Expert view

The user may control everything as before / as you want to change it if it's
OK with Patrick.

That said, I think that we should discuss severe changes within the team first,
then ask the list for feedback, rediscuss internally and then implement it.
That way, there is no work done in vain and we need some time to think over
propositions and have the chance to speak up.

Just my 2ct,
Olav
- --
The Enigmail Project - OpenPGP Email Security For Mozilla Applications