Hi David,

Today, I followed a checklist and downloaded GPG4 and created the "pair" of keys.  I have a screenshot of the "fingergprint" of the pair, but not the actual keys - don't know where they were stored, if at all.

A fingerprint enables you to verify that the key is the one you created, it does not help to recover your key.

Thunderbird can't find them. Then I installed Enigmail - it found GPG and the keys

Thunderbird itself has no connection to OpenPGP/keys. Enigmail does have, and when GPG sees them AS PUBLIC/PRIVATE key PAIR, you're safe.

But I still can't find the "Wizard" for setting up the system.  Enigmail has a configuration page with about 8 or so tabs across the top - but they don't match the "setup wizard" screenshots . . . Again, the Menu par at top of Thunderbird does NOT have "OpenPGP" button/link. Does anyone have a CURRENT checklist for setting up and configuring and using encryption?

These config screens have nothing to do with the keys. You would need the Enigmail/OpenPGP menu. However, Enigmail is just ONE frontend, you may well use any other.

First things first: Your message indicates that you are on Windows. In Windows, GnuPG "home" directory (if left to default) is "%APPDATA%\GnuPG". You may enter this exact string as path in the Windows Explorer "Address bar" (NOT Internet Explorer). Copy that whole directory to a USB thumb drive (you should have done so long ago).

To export your keys to a few files, you may use CMD (the Windows "terminal") and the command "gpg --export-secret keys" (for your PRIVATE keys) and "gpg --export" (for your PUBLIC KEYS).

However, Enigmail tries to do all the migration for you – once it runs. If you do not have an Enigmail/OpenPGP menu (neither in the top nor in the toast menu), something's odd. I'd advise to uninstall Enigmail, to make sure you download the latest version suitable for your TB version and reinstall that.

You were not talking about migration to TB78, were you? If I got you right, you just created your keys but did not use them productively or give them to many people. In this case I'd advise you to abandon all your 68.x efforts and Enigmail at all, and start afresh with 78.x, and generate new keys there.

Olav