Shish wrote:
1) Images and other binary stuff should be checked in (added) with
-kb for several reasons, this not being one of them.

I know -kb helps CVS figure out how to do some things, but what other
reasons are there, and why isn't binary file corruption one of them?

The -kb flag can be set on a file in CVS, basically telling telling CVS
not to bother with storing version changes as diffs, and not to do any
kind of keyword or substitution. The latter is essential because you
never know if a "binary" file may, concidentally or otherwise, contain
an RCS tag, e.g "$Id".
It can also be used during checkout to override the setting the file is
stored with, but I think that is only a workaround of the real problem.

2) When working with unix stuff on a windows PC, be sure to check
out with "unix lf". Anything else is just asking for trouble.

so are "unix lf" and "-kb" separate settings?

Yes, they are two different things.
Somehow you have set your Windows CVS client up to mutilate otherwise
perfectly nice files that your windows client thinks are "text files",
by substituting <LF> to <CR><LF>.
WinCVS has a checkbox, I think "Checkout with UNIX LF", that should be
checked. If you use Cygwin, it may be configured to use DOS style
(<CR><LF>) line separators. I guess that will also cause the problem.

/Kim