Am Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:43:10 -0500 schrieb Michael Jennings:

> First off, it's setlocale(LC_ALL, ""), not setlocale(LC_ALL, NULL). :)
>
> Secondly, once you've done that, you cannot assume that the returned
> locale string is any particular value.  From the man page:
>
> RETURN VALUE
>        A  successful  call to setlocale() returns an opaque string
>        that corresponds to the locale set.
>
> "Opaque" means "don't look at this thing." :)
>
> Use nl_langinfo(CODESET) to get the character encoding being used.

But this function returns for my locale ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) ISO-8859-15. I know
this is the character encoding I use, but perhaps a lot of languages use
the same character encoding or not? I need this value only to exec the
correct help files for the users language. Perhaps my understanding of
locales and character encoding is wrong.

regards
Andreas