> > they have apps, communities, publicity and big, mature toolkits and
> > everyone
> > thinks they are trying to "kill microsoft" so they all rally behind
> > them.
>
>       Ok. But, the apps and stuff may follow from a 'mature toolkit'..
> So what is it about their toolkits that is so much more 'mature'?
>
>       Who out there would like to spell this out in detail --
> What do the EFL's need in order to be as 'mature'?
>
> ----

        Well, we now have that 'maturity' of the libs consists of,
at least:

        1. Portability across platforms/os.

        2. EWL needs more widgets - to the point where it has the same
           complement of widgets you see in qt and gtk+. they need to be
           fast and rock-solid. stable. it needs to support right-to-left
           languages for text and much better text layout. it needs more
           documentation and examples.

        Someone has already expressed interest in working on 1.

        The question then is - Who out there wants to work on 2.?
Who wants to help with the work of finishing the "next generation
toolkit" that is, in fact, already here -- ewl.

        Anything else the efl's need?

>       What I personally would like to see - as an 'academic'
> exercise lets say - is a fair description of just what common
> libs/components it takes to make up something like GNOME or KDE..
>
>       A "blueprint", if you will, for what makes up something like
> a basic 'desktop environment'.

        Ummm...