On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 16:28 +0500, Boldin Pavel wrote:
> I though joke is EXACTLY name of this field.

I remember in a past life in my computational theory class the term
"pumping lemma."  Just because it sounds like a joke doesn't mean it is
one.

> It can be called ``type" or ``FOURCC" like in other formats, but in
> almost all OpenSource projects it is called ``magic".

Except that magic values are neither of these.  FOURCC values are
standardized.  Type values don't imply an "unlikely to appear value."  I
think the reason almost all FOSS projects call it "magic" is because the
term has Unix roots, and for those familiar with unix it has a very
specific meaning that is distinctly different from FOURCC and type.

http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/M/magic-number.html

Jason.