On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:45:00 +0200 FORT Yannick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> Hello everyone; it's my first mail on this list ;)

I've been in the computer world for a long time now - 20 years or so. and KB =
kilobyte = 1024 bytes. MB = megabyte = 1024x1024 bytes. ie power of 2's always
for memory or sizes on disk (of files). ALWAYS. hd manufacturers decided to play
a nice trick and use 1000x1000 to play the numbers game of "my disk is bigger
than yours" without having to do any engineering. somehow it stuck. networking
has always talking in BITS as it generally has been serial lines thus they talk
in bits and thus Mb == megabit - but they chose to use Kb = kilobit = 1000 bits
and 1000x1000 bits for a megabit. this is just how it is - it is the way its
done. personally i detest the hd size and network way of doing things. this is
binary - computers. long live power of 2's. if u were to refer to current
download speed or bandwidth used on a network device i would lean to converting
it into KB or MB (1024 bytes or 1024x1024 bytes) and the bits be damned. in not
sticking to these standards u will confuse people even more as these are how it
has been done ever since the dawn of time... pretty much :)

> I really think the MiB standard MUST be used, if you don't respect
> standards, you surely want people to use .doc, .xls for office use, MSN
> as a chat protocol, THIS is stupid ...
>
> When i read MiB, i'm sure it's 1024*1024 B, but when i read MB, i don't
> know if it's 1000*1000 or 1024*1024, f***ing unrespected standards
>
> I learn at school Kilo is 1000x and Mega is 1000*1000x, why would it be
> different for Bytes ?
>
> Please use Kibi, Mebi Gibi, etc ...

裸好多                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)