De: Carsten Haitzler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Enviado el: Lunes, 22 de Agosto de 2005 02:57
Para: Ehud Shabtai
CC: enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Asunto: Re: [E-devel] E17 crashes when moving for xinerama to a single
screen

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:07:31 +0300 Ehud Shabtai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
babbled:

> You're right this problem shows only for some applications such as
> firefox, qgis, eclair.
> There are actually two annoying problems. The first is that since they

> remember their geometry, when I try to open them on one screen, they
> may open on another. The second problem is the one with being lost
> (when not using dual screens).

yeah - but this woudl be what i call "badly written apps" they shoudl
accoutnf or screen res/size changes while they may nto be runing and
adjust if they insist on remembering their own stuff, if not, they
should leave the wm to it whihc likely knwos a lot better than the app
ever will. i know app writes dont want to dothis as there are wm's that
are dumb and dont do things well. e17 isnt that gerat yet either. i'd
like it to auto-rememebr stuff like this for you as much as possible.
right now its a manual rememebr process to set it up.
it's mroe of a test to see what i need to do to the remember stuff to
make ti work best.

> Can't E just relocate the lost window instead of putting it in the
> lost window list?

there are valid reasons an app could want a window off screen. i am sure
later we can add options like "NEVER allow a window to be off screen by
app request"
etc. but for now we're obeying an apps requests -0 no matter how stupid
they are. it's a good way to hilight stupid apps that need fixing too.
either they need to stop remembering their own geometry and leave it to
the wm entirely, or get a lot smarter at doing it themsleves instead of
doing it badly.