On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:48:34 +0800 Didier Casse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
babbled:

> On 8/31/05, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:21:32 +0800 Didier Casse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > babbled:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >          I have a question. I'm automating certain things at the
> > > moment and I wanted to know how we can determine the window class via
> > > command line for a particular app? Please don't tell me to execute
> > > xprop WM_CLASS|cut -d \, -f 2 and click on every single window that I
> > > find!
> >
> > execute and use xprop etc. there is no way to find out otherwise as the
> > CODe in the APP SETs the property - and it may be set to any number of
> > things. it may have nothnig to do with the executable as the exe may wrap
> > other executables etc. it may use sdl to display and sdl loves to set
> > menaingless names and classes of SDL etc. :) every app will vary. beware! :)
> >

> Thanks for the reply mate.
>
> But this really sucks! :( Maybe we should compile a huge list of
> window classes for every apps that people are using and generate a
> text file. So that the next person who wants to build let's say 250
> eaps on the fly can instruct it's script to just read the window class
> from the text file and move on. It's a wild idea but at least it's
> one.

inded... OR .. how about we just build a whole lot of .eap's ready-to-use :)

> I've concocted some pretty nice scripts but without getting a proper
> window class, they are pretty much useless.

yeah. you can also use title as well to match - if you didnt notice. we also
shoudl be putting iconclasses into .eap's it really is a manual process per
app. icon classes are VERY important in the future for themes.

for example a .eap may have an icon class of:

eterm,terminal,xterm

that means IF a theme icon called "eterm" exists it can override this eap ioc -
if that doesnt exuist it looks for "terminal" and then "xterm" in order. if any
of these exist in the theme - they are used instead of the eap icon. if none
exist then the eap icon is used. we shoudl be creating eaps with all this info.
more examples

firefox icon-class: firefox,mozilla,webbrowser,internet
evolution icon-class: evolution,mailer
eterm icon-class: eterm,xterm,terminal

etc.

so themes can later provide nice icons for a lot of common apps or categories
of apps etc. :)

> --
> With kind regards,
> Didier.

> Yum/apt repository for DR17/EFL: http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe
>
> Didier F.B Casse
> PhD candidate, Singapore Synchrotron Light Source (SSLS)
> National University of Singapore.

裸好多                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)