Hey!

I'm planning to add a text view widget in Etk that should allow to format the
text powerfully (I'd like to do a small text processor test app with it). So I
will use the evas textblock object for the rendering.

My main problem is that, in Etk (and I believe it's the same with ewl), you can
create and manipulate a widget without adding it to a window. So you should be
able to manipulate the widget without knowing the evas. Since all the API of
the evas_textblock needs a textblock object and thus an evas, I thought to do
all my string manipulations manually (i.e. without using the
evas_object_textblock_* funcs) and then, to render the object, I would have use
evas_object_textblock_markup_text_set() each time the text is changed. But I
guess it won't be really optimized, each time the text is modified, evas should
recalc all the text nodes hierarchy. My question is so, firstly, will it really
kill the perfs to call evas_object_textblock_markup_text_set() on the whole
text buffer each time a char is added, and secondly, is there an easy way to
separate the textblock buffer (which could be manipulated without requiring an
evas object, and which could be shared between several evas_object
 _textblock) from the textblock object in evas?

Also, What do you think is the better way to render the selected text? I
thought to set a background color to the selected text using style tags on the
evas_object_textblock, but again, each time the selection will change, I'll
need to modify the nodes hierarchy of the textblock. Won't it be too slow? I
can also use evas_rectangles that won't need to change the text nodes, but it's
a bit tricky.

Last question, how hard do you think it will be to implement simple evas
objects insertion in a textblock? The evas object could be considerated as a
special char, you can get its size, and then I guess, the render calculations
won't change a lot, no?

Regards,
Simon TRENY <MoOm>