On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 3:39 AM, Andrew Williams <a...@andywilliams.me>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Looking at the API we have aggregated over the year and thinking about our
> chance to clean things up right now I can't help but feel uncomfortable
> about the following:
>
> eina_str_*
> eina_stringshare_*
> eina_slstr_*

+ eina_tmpstr_*
+ eina_str*

> These are all related but have different namespaces.
> Would it be possible to tidy them up through aliases and deprecation
> perhaps?
>
> eina_string_[share|short] or even eina_str_[shr|tmp] would help a lot with
> APIs and also IDE auto-completion.

I agree those API's are confusing. Some may be compatible with each other
but some others not.
I just worry that adding more aliases to existing API's would end up being
more confusing?
Honestly I don't really know what's best :)

PS: <evil thought> unless maybe you use #ifndef EINA_UNIFIED_API_ONLY to
hide the legacy forms when working exclusively in EO land </>
--
Jean-Philippe André