Hi all,

I also remember the eina lgpl being intentional, one of the reasons is
that it might be possible to argue that to the rest of the efl
libraries, eina / efl (also lgpl) are more then just libraries that the
rest of efl uses and therefore the rest of the efl libraries should be
treated as derivative works. This will likely get slightly more complex
when we as upstream start merging libraries.

Probably the safest way legally would be to treat all of the efl as lgpl
and provide objects in such a way that you can relink any part of the
efl. But I am not a lawyer and its probably one of those ambiguities
where without it going to court we will never actually know so most
companies legal teams will advise them to take the safest possible
interpretation atleast in my experience.

On 30/07/18 05:56, Andrew Williams wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> I was probably over-simplifying but in the context where static-linking is
> required then the LGPL forces certain behaviours which the BSD does not.
> My understanding is that this applies to anyone linking statically to any
> part of EFL as they (mostly) all depend on Eina?
>
> Reading from https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LGPLStaticVsDynamic If
> I write a framework which is statically linked which includes the Eina
> static link then the application developer must ship alternative object for
> for re-linking. Additionally the app publishers would need to provide the
> source code of Eina that was linked to to comply with LGPL.
>
> Do others have a different understanding of the situation?
> Thanks,
> Andrew
>
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 at 13:56 Stephen Houston <smhousto...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This was a huge argument when Eina came into EFL. IIRC the profusion guys
>> that wrote Eina were adamant on it being LGPL and even looked into the
>> possibility of trying to make the rest of EFL LGPL. Of course getting all
>> the author permissions to do so would be impossible so that was nixed. So
>> the state of things license wise is what it is today. As far as the
>> implications of that, I haven't studied it much.  Can you provide the exact
>> language that makes you believe this to be true?
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018, 6:58 AM Andrew Williams <a...@andywilliams.me>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was checking out the situation regarding licensing and read the current
>>> state in https://github.com/Enlightenment/efl/blob/master/README. As far
>>> as
>>> I can tell the library at the bottom of our dependency tree, Eina, is
>> LGPL
>>> whereas most others are BSD - which includes the main Efl library.
>>>
>>> As far as I can see this means that the BSD Efl lib will restrict to LGPL
>>> automatically if statically linked.
>>> Is that the intention?
>>>
>>> I was hoping to use static linking for a project but I don't want to pass
>>> this restriction up stream. Is there anything I can do and/or have I
>>> misunderstood the situation at all?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Andrew
>>> --
>>> http://andywilliams.me
>>> http://ajwillia.ms

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30