On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 06:45:20 -0500 Stephen Houston <smhousto...@gmail.com> said:

> OSUOSL is great. But it's pointless when none of us can get the access we
> need to the server and when the person that has/controls that access takes
> forever and a day to communicate and/or wont budge. Help has been offered
> in sysadmin for years from multiple devs who are sysadmins by trade and who
> could handle the complexity, and there is absolutely no change and it is
> not allowed. Further, Stefan is being generous... it has been more like 10
> months, nearly a year since OSUOSL asked us to replace the fan. This is
> frankly embarrassing. We cant even get a model number so that one of us
> could personally drop ship it to them. That really looks bad on us... Again
> that is basically humiliating.  With all of these issues I think it would
> be a great improvement to moved to sponsored cloud hosting. We would
> actually have access and not have to worry about the hardware maintenance.

i thought cedric was going to order one from califronia and beber was getting
the model from supermicro ... i saw/heard nothing so thought they exchanged the
info... seems not.

I'll chase this up. we bought from silicon mechanics. I'll hunt down the
original order and ask them if they know what fan model it would be.

But that doesn't change the overall state of the sevrer. IPMI console access is
an issue. I tried to gbet it to work for a day or 2 via my osuosl vpn ... i got
to a web page for it and password didn't work. i can try again. with an ipmi
console the device is maintainable. it can be re=installed if needed, kernel
upgraded etc. ...