We are talking about LTS Ubuntu here, which i'm guessing will get a new meson for the next LTS version which will be released in April 2020, I would not be surprised if like openSUSE they do not take newer versions of most software into there LTS versions because this is generally what people running LTS versions want.

On 29/04/2019 12:51, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
I think what we would really need to check is if Debian has a meason maintainer
if yes we need to work with them to keep meason up to date in Debian unstable
and then the newer version will trickle its way down to each new release of
ubuntu.

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Lees <sfl...@suse.de>
Sent: 29 April 2019 05:16
To: enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [E-devel] EFL Autotools freeze proposal

On 26/04/2019 17:10, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
Hi Ross,

Why go through the headache of getting something backported when you can just
create a ppa for all supported releases and one just add's a ppa?

Regards,
Jonathan

Generally because if the package is in a PPA it can't be used to build an
official package, so you wouldn't be able to use it to update the current efl
version. I'm not sure if debian allows you to use a backports package to build
a package in stable, but i'm guessing you could use it to build a package in
backports.

On 25/04/2019, 22:56, "Ross Vandegrift" <r...@kallisti.us> wrote:

      On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 04:40:40PM +0000, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
      > Hi Ross thanks for the tips, I don't think it is that easy to get
      > something in to backports unless it fixes a bug or security
      > vulnerability hence the use of PPA's they allow for bleeding edge
      > stuff.
I think you're mixing up backports & stable. Stable releases only
      accept security fixes & small changes.  Backports provides a path for
      selectively providing newer versions of software to stable.  It's an
      opt-in repo.  See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports
      (The same is true for Debian.)
It shouldn't be too hard to get new backports accepted - the hardest
      piece is probably finding someone to do the testing.

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30