On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 12:01:01 -0400 Kevin Brosius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> So, who is working on e menus at the moment?  Am I stepping on any toes
> if I commit stuff like this?
>
> The attached patch prevents submenus from being drawn off the right side
> of the screen.
>
> Are there bigger plans for menu layout adjustment?  I see that placement
> also needs to take in to account the bottom of the screen.  That isn't
> fixed yet.

well other than what codewarrier said (you can drag to the edge of the screen
and scroll - e17's menu code can handle massive menus - well beyond the size
gtk or qt can due to just letting you scroll them).

yes an inidactor might be nice - in practical terms that probably would need to
be yet another window with a canvas (maybe an e_popup) placed on the edges of
the screen where you are able to scroll and then shown when needed (also emit a
signal so it knows it was shown and can start animating or something).

but your patch imho is a little incomplete.  the submenu arrow will point the
wrong way. you need a way of now having the theme have 2 modes (open to the
left or open to the right) and you need to select this when the first parent
menu opens. your patch also will have problems:

                |screen edge
[menu]          |
[    ]--->[sub] |
[    ]    [   ] |
[ [sub2]<-[   ] |
[ [    ]  [   ] |
[    ]          |

and yes - touchscreen has problems - IF you "tap" then "tap" again. if you
"press and drag" style menu (you dont have to release the mouse - or raise the
pen) then it works just fine btw :) but yes - this does limit your ability to
interact with menus a bit. but as per above we have a few problems.

1. arrow indicator is now wrong
2. menus will overlap back and forth
3. there are menu occasions where the menu code has no idea how big a submenu
will be before it is shown (as the contents are generated when it is shown to
speed up initial menu popup), so you can't know in advance what arrow to
display (thus you will need a way of flipping submenu arrow display on the fly)
4.we can probably make the flip back.forth usable if we allow a tap/click on
the submenu parent item will TOGGLE the display of the submenu as opposed to
just always display it if it isn't displayed.

... anyway - my point in this is... i  applaud your efforts to work on this -
but i think you need to think more widely on the implications of the work and
all the fine details/touches and solve them too :)

(nb - i think we can also solve the touchscreen problem and not even make menus
open to the left - if we allow you to CLICK on the "you can scroll here"
indicator/arrow and click and hold begins a scroll in that direction - the only
problem is keeping the popups above the menu then :)

裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)