Am Mon, 14 Aug 2006 00:03:07 -0400
schrieb Michael Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Monday, 14 August 2006, at 12:08:06 (+0900),
> Carsten Haitzler wrote:
>
> > anyway - we have been living on caosity's cvs for a while now - but
> > we are killing it (sorry kainx!)
> >
> > so its time to finally bite the bullet and dredge up the issue of us
> > needing servers again.
>
> What we really need is anoncvs mirrors.  We need systems that we can
> point "anoncvs.enlightenment.org" to.  A nice round-robin DNS should
> solve the load problem quite nicely.
>
> > here is what i think we need:
> >
> > 1. devel "cvs" server + future web server (for downloads too of official
> > tarballs etc.)
> > 2. an anonymous "cvs" server and possibly second download mirror.
> >
> > so 2 systems really.
>
> The developer CVS server is doing acceptably, is it not?
>
> We are working on obtaining another server for the E project to have
> as its very own.  Hopefully that will pan out.
>
> > i hear that svn is significantly less load for anonymous access -
> > even developer - who has experience with this server-side? can you
> > confirm or deny?  i would consider a possible move to svn if we can
> > keep our history from cvs.
>
> It's not true.  SVN requires a lot more overhead (including Apache
> with SVN and DAV modules), uses a BDB backend (you remember your love
> of BDB, right?), and requires DOUBLE the amount of disk space for a
> checkout.  Yes, I said double.  Furthermore, branching and tagging
> don't really exist for SVN (it uses "copies" which, while they may be
> zero overhead on the server, are murder on the checkout).  And last I
> checked, you could not keep your history.
That's not true that SVN needs lot more overhead. At least if you compile
subversion from source you can disable unneeded features e.g. apache and
java-bindings support.
On gentoo you can enable/disable following features when emerging subversion:
apache2, bash-completion,
berkdb, subversion has also a flat file db support(fsfs which is standard when
creating a subversion repo)
java (afaik only bindings support)
nls
perl (afaik only bindings support)
python (afaik only bindings support)
zlib
emacs
nowebdav (no webdav support via the neon lib)
ruby (afaik only bindings support)

so you can strip down the requirements to the minimum if you want.
Apache + Webdav is only needed if you want the access to the repos via webdav.

there are now at least one cvs2svn conversion tool with which you can keep your
history of cvs.

Stephan

> CVS is the devil we know.  There's really nothing we need it to do
> that it doesn't do.  I see no compelling reason to move.
>
> Michael

- --
Ein Ring, sie zu knechten, sie alle zu finden,
Ins Dunkel zu treiben und ewig zu binden
Im Lande Mordor, wo die Schatten drohn.