On 4/14/20 3:00 PM, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 02:49:11PM +0100, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 23:19:53 -0700 Ross Vandegrift <r...@kallisti.us> said:
>>> - When I logout, E fades the backlight all the way to off, and nothing will
>>>   turn it back on.  I have to reboot.  Logout works normally if I disable
>>>   backlight fade in the compositor settings.
>>
>> that's intended. by default it is expected that whatever takes over the
>> screen
>> after e sets backlight to whatever it should be set to. it's a problem with
>> whatever runs after e not supporting backlight control.
>
> I see - what display manager do you use that behaves correctly?
>
> I tested a few, none of them restored the backlight after logout.  Only gdm3
> had working backlight control, so at least I could turn it back on.  lightdm,
> sddm, and lxdm all returned to a black screen with no backlight control.  Same
> with startx and exiting to a text console.
>
>>> - In the new shot module, right-clicking on text displays an illegibly tiny
>>>   context menu.  I *think* it has cut/copy/paste options.  Other menus look
>>>   normal.
>>
>> zoom in. there are zoom controls right there...
>
> Whoa, I've never seen zoom control that also affect the size of the menus.
> That's kinda weird, but it works.
>

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 02:59:37PM +0100, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 23:19:53 -0700 Ross Vandegrift <r...@kallisti.us> said:
>>> - Are the fonts for the shot module redistributable?  BD_Cartoon_Shout.ttf
>>>   and Suplexmentary_Comic_NC.ttf claim All rights reserved.  The homepage
>>> info
>>>   for ComiquitaSans.ttf is wrong or defunct.  (see strings *.ttf | grep -Ei
>>>   'reserved|copyright')  I couldn't find any info about
>>> FuturaHandwritten.ttf.
>>
>> found them! :) in my history
>>
>> https://fontmeme.com/fonts/comiquita-sans-font/
>>  free for commercial use (that would allow redistribution etc.)
>> https://fontmeme.com/fonts/bd-cartoon-shout-font/
>>  also free for commercial use - use any way you like
>> https://fontmeme.com/fonts/futura-handwritten-font/
>>  also free for commercial use
>> https://fontmeme.com/fonts/futura-handwritten-font/
>>  same again
>>
>> i'm going off the advertised "free for commercial use" which would say to me
>> we
>> can redistribute it - it's not limiting usage to just personal use which is
>> the
>> common "free but we can't redistribute that" box.
>
> Thanks for the digging out the links.  I'm still a little unsure.  I see why
> you say that, and I bet you're right.  But I think distro folks may look at
> the
> text and decide it's not clearly permitting non-commercial use: it doesn't say
> anything either way.
>
> I'm not confidant the site has the right info.  For instance, they
> redistribute
> [...]

The big difference here is "free for commercial use" is not the same as
"free to distribute a slightly modified copy" That is because these
sites are mostly targeting designers who want to use these fonts in
either print or web banners and don't plan to distribute the actual font
files.

Where as open source distro's mostly care about there users being able
to use and modify there sources without having legal issues the "TeX
Gyre fonts" mentioned above may well need a special exemption and to go
into the non_free repo in the openSUSE case.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30