On 4/24/20 2:38 AM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 22:34:04 +0930 Simon Lees <sfl...@suse.de> said:

>>> deps i mean -lblah - linking at link time as opposed to dlopen
>>
>> Thats meson's problem :-) , if you tried to dlopen everything you'd just
>
> no - it's a "i can;'t compile efl - i need docs for my distro because i don't
> know how to install dev/devel files - it's too hard". having to write a
> special list of "apt/yum/dnf/pacman/whatever install x y z" is not sane as
> every distro is different and it's a moving target. so moving all deps out to
> at-rumtime has a few benefits:
>
> 1. less commonly used deps don't even need an install if the user doesn't know
> or care.
> 2. it allows for a runtime "feature missing because lib y cant be loaded"
> which
> turns into a nice path we could put off to a tool to help install a dep
> 3. it saves dirty pages and linking time at startup for a process for deps
> that
> may never be used
> 4. things compile without someone first having to beat their head on "install
> 30 packages to compile efl".
>
> you, as a packager might not care about some of these, but as someone who sees
> the problems decade after decade for others ... and the bonuses too above...
> i'd do things differently now after learning that. that or i'd pull more
> dependencies into the efl tree itself and have them compiled in...

Well infact I do remember all these problems rather well, as I wasn't
always a packager and had to deal with these issues daily I remember
using easy_e17.sh to build what seemed like 50 different libraries and
modules. In fact I really should say thank you because the only reason I
started packaging was because I saw it as the most sane solution to
these problems so I went of and learned. So it is thanks to e that I
learned to package and thanks to e that I have my current job :-) And I
still think that making up to date packages is the best solution for
this problem they don't even have to end up in official repos. Showing
people that its not any harder then building from source and that it
helps other people and themselves :-)

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30