On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:09:01 +0200 Massimo Maiurana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
babbled:

> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman), il 29/08/2006 13:19, scrisse:
>
> >> can I do something to make bytecode looks better (e.g. some options
> >> to recompile freetype)?
> >
> > yes. your distribution policy has turned off bytecode hinting (this is also
> > the best quality rendering with ttf fonts too as they were designed to allow
> > hinting to produce perfect outlines on pixel displays).
>
> no, the package I'm currently using was not build by my distribution
> (slackware 10.0).
> some time ago I had "bytecode" option greyed out in the font
> configuration dialog, so I rebuilt freetype enabling the bytecode
> interpreter and bytecode has become a selectable option.
> after that i tried to use bytecode hinting, but it didn't produce an
> acceptable look to me. with bytecode enabled all my fonts looks
> "blurry", with auto hinting I get the best result.

http://www.rasterman.com/files/e17-hinting-bytecode.png

thats what it should look like - with bytecode hinting. something is wrong with
your freetype. NB - i disabled the detecting of "can freetype do bytecode
hinting" etc. because many distributions had broken freetype headers that say
freetype can't do it, when it can, for example (or vice-versa).

see these images:

http://www.rasterman.com/files/e17-hinting-bytecode.png
http://www.rasterman.com/files/e17-hinting-auto.png
http://www.rasterman.com/files/e17-hinting-none.png

that is what you should see for each hinting mode. if you don't there is
something wrong with your freetype build or freetype itself. i have seen before
that there have been bugs in some versions of freetype regarding hints.

> at this moment I'm playing with the font settings, and I'm seeing
> that increasing the size of displayed font (from the default 10.0 to
> 11.0) makes bytecode hinting looks much better.
>
> now, with bytecode hinting, the text of tclock doesn't move anymore
> when displaying the number 3... it moves when displaying the number
> 4... arghh!! :°(
>

> --
>        Massimo Maiurana         massimo<at>ragusa.linux.it
>        http://massimo.solira.org       GPG keyID #7044D601
>
> Articolo 11 - L'Italia ripudia la guerra come strumento di offesa
> alla libertà degli altri popoli e come mezzo di risoluzione delle
> controversie internazionali....

裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)