I wrote:

> I don't know Simon.. want you want is certainly 'seductive'
> in its own way - it does have a lot of good aspects -- but I wonder
> if it's maybe just more gl-convenient than really necessary.

        On the other hand....  While I think that engine specific
buffers, both as render targets and image object input 'data', are
essential, I'm also starting to come around to Simon's view as well.

        As raster mentioned, a gl-x11 engine "shouldn't have to do
anything special" to display the results.. But, it doesn't mean that
it couldn't be *asked* to hold off on that.
        So, maybe adding a flag to the engine info, whose default
setting would be to have the evas_render call display the results
(as it best sees fit to do things) as it now does.. but when set
otherwise would be forced to render to the gl back buffer and not
flush things?

   jose.