Hey,

currently, there is no trace of the commits in the ChangeLog file. We can
only look at them through viewvc, which is a pain (cia is not better and
does not allow to see all of them, afaik)

There exist tools to modify automatically a ChangeLog, without work at
all. I know 2 of them:

  * prepare-ChangeLog.pl (to use with another tool : cicl) :

http://www.buzztard.org/index.php/Coding_Guidelines#CVS_commit_message_format

  * moap :

https://thomas.apestaart.org/moap/trac/

You can see examples of ChangeLog created by the first tool in the 2 last
commits of epdf I did. It is quite simple to use:

1) do your modifications in your repository (including cvs add and cvs
delete)

2) launch:

prepare-ChangeLog.pl

it will ask you 2 times the password of the cvs rep.
it will add a new entry to the ChangeLog.

3) edit the ChangeLog file by adding comments, according to the modified
files/functions.

4) launch:

cicl

it will commit the changes and add a description of the commit according
to the last entry of the ChangeLog file.

Another tool (diffcl) allows you to preview the changes (and to createe
patches)

moap is of similar use (only one command, with different parameters to
prepare the changelog and commit the changes). I prefer
prepare-ChangeLog.pl because it also add the function names that have been
modified in the ChangeLog file.

Maybe you'll find those tools useful :)

regards

Vincent