Heres whats happened so far!
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2008-March/009303.html

Here are some of the summaries from people...
"yeah, i'd really like to see this happen too. it requires someone to write the
spec and start with implementations ... we've sort of all been staring at
each other for a few years now waiting for someone to have the time and
energy to do it. "
-A Seigo (KDE Developer)

"It doesn't make sense to try to write a new
spec without having at least a proof-of-concept implementation. I hate the
current systray too, and I have somewhere an unfinished attempt at a better
implementation, but it's in the queue with many other things. Saying how the
systray needs fixing is unfortunately not going to do that, somebody needs to
find the time to make it happen."
-L Lunak (KDE developer)

No news from anyone in the Gnome camp yet, but I get the impression
that everyone, including some people in the E camp that hate the
notion of having a systray at all.
Feel free to read the archive so far and/or join in the systray
bashing on the mailing list there.
Toma