On 3-Aug-08, at 12:43 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Andreas Volz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>> It seems the license question is still very much discussed. Until
>> now I
>> didn't say much about it. But now I like to add my 2 cents to that
>> topic.
>>
>> At work we develop software for embedded devices. In most cases is
>> the
>> result a commercial closed-source product.
>>
>> For sure we used open source software in the past (not based on EFL
>> until now!). So GPL is no option. The LGPL would be an option. But
>> in most cases it's not an option as good as BSD (better say MIT). The
>> reason is that in most cases it's needed to modify the library
>> itself.
>> For example if there's a Win32 and a Linux port, but no WinCE port.
>> For
>> sure one could contribute the changes back to the open source
>> project.
>> But in most cases this doesn't happen because of time or interest.
>
> This is exactly what companies that contribute back, like ProFUSION
> and others, dislike. We do contribute back and we expect that others
> do that, we want others to play fair.

This is also what other companies that contribute to the EFL like.
They want to be able to hold some stuff back while giving other stuff
back to the community.

> This might not be a problem for u as an individual developer that
> writes code on free time and don't care about that. But for us, we
> release the software expecting to improve the projects we've used, but
> we don't like competitors taking advantage of that and never giving
> back.

Yet, this is exactly what you talk about in the next paragraph by
forking to LGPL. You'll take all the code and never give anything back.

dan