----- "Viktor Kojouharov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ha scritto:

> On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 22:34 +1000, Daniel Kasak wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 12:32 +0200, Viktor Kojouharov wrote:
> >
> > > What composite manager are you supposed to use? xcompmgr is just
> > > proof-of-concept. Bling doesn't work that well. Bang is slow as
> hell.
> >
> > Ha! Doesn't even work on mine at all ( nvidia only I think ).
> >
> > > And now one actually knows how to set up Ecomorph.
> >
> > ??? I know. So do others. Have you looked at
> > http://code.google.com/p/itask-module/wiki/Stuff ? I've set up a
> number
> > of systems with ecomorph ( Gentoo and Ubuntu ) and it wasn't too
> hard on
> > either ( a bit more work on Ubuntu ). The problem at the moment is
> that
> > Ecomorph hasn't been updated in almost 6 months, and most likely
> the
> > modified E tree that you have to use doesn't compile against
> current
> > libraries ( though admittedly I haven't tried ). Also you have to
> hack
> > things up a bit for it to compile ( from memory there were problems
> with
> > I18N stuff or something - I think I just deleted some .po files and
> it
> > worked ).
> >
> > Anyway, I can give you help with getting Ecomorph going if you
> need.
> > IMHO it's the best thing that happened to E in years ( yes,
> never-ending
> > re-writing of libraries included in comparison ).
> >
> As long as it requires a custom E branch, it's kind of pointless for
> me.
> Why not incorporate the changes in the main branch? Or provide an
> easy
> patch. Right now, since the custom branch is so old, it's sort of
> useless.
> > Dan

Let me try to make some cleariness:

- xcompr is just an example progam, not thinked to be used.
- bang, ecomorph and egloo are both only our experimental field, to try
different approach to the OpenGL composite in E.
- bling is the only composite manager that should be usable and "stable",
  also if it has some weired stuff here and that.
  Try to use it with all the effects disabled (fade, etc), it this way
  it is not so slow and permit you to have tranpareent windows.

Hope this can help.

Dave